Arrow Runaway Law in Washington State

My question involves juvenile law in the State of: Washington

I live in Washington state; I'm currently 17 1/2 and self-sufficient. I have a highschool diploma and am two quarters away from completing my AA, with a steady job and plans for my future. I'm mentally, financially, and emotionally stable. I did not run away to live with a boyfriend or because I hate having a curfew, nor am I here to ask for encouragement. I realize this probably doesn't count for anything, but I might as well throw it out there.

When it comes to my home life- I've never been physically abused, only emotionally. I have three younger brothers who are perfectly content, and even if I could, the last thing I'd want to do is bring in CPS to make their lives miserable.

I've been scanning the internet and reading through these forums, but still can't find answers to the following questions.. I know there's a lot of them, but I'd highly appreciate any objective responses.

If my parents do decide to call the police and file a runaway report, what are the odds that the police will actually do anything about it? I'd appreciate any examples based on actual experience, not just what the law says will hypothetically happen.

What could the police legally do if my parents try everything within their means to get me back? What are the legal consequences for myself- will I have some kind of record?

Does crossing county or state lines change the severity of any of this?

If the people I stay with report to the police department that I'm living with them- can they still be civilly sued? How would that affect the situation?

Would filing for emancipation help my case at all? From what I've read, my chances of being granted emancipation before I turn 18 are probably close to zero, even though I could claim returning would harm me both financially and psychologically.

And, lastly- what consequences will there be if my parents do nothing about the situation? They haven't technically given me permission to leave, but is their consent implied?

Thanks.

Default Re: Runaway Law in WA State

Unless you ask your parents if you can move out and they verbally say YES, you cannot leave. You want us to answers based on hypothetical questions.

Plain and simple, if you run away your parents can get the police involved and can stop at no end to do this. The people you plan to stay with will not be vivilly "sued" they will be charged with Harboring a Runaway. You only have a few months left, it's better for everyone involved for you to just stick it out. Keep yourself occupied and busy the less time you have at home, the quicker the time will pass that you can legally move out.

1. Sponsored Links