Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smile What Is An Active Job Search for Unemployment

My question involves unemployment benefits for the state of: Illinois

My state ( Illinois) requires to fill out a search form which states I am actively looking for employment. I have been sending resumes with three different job search cites and have anywhere from 2-4 per jobs each week in which I applied to.

Being I have been doing this for two months now.. My question is they also ask for a contact name. How many jobs do they require per week that has to be listed? I unfortunately do not have many with names.. only the name of the companies I have sent resumes to.

Is it too late to call all them companies NOW after 2 months and just get a name who handles resumes? or will it look out of place by doing that? what would be considered active searching? Is sending resumes online considered that?

Thank You

Default Re: Unemployment Active Job Search

When you called the UI office in your state and asked this question, what did they say?

Default Re: Unemployment Active Job Search

Quote Quoting Azzuri
    View Post
    Being I have been doing this for two months now.. My question is they also ask for a contact name. How many jobs do they require per week that has to be listed? I unfortunately do not have many with names.. only the name of the companies I have sent resumes to.

Is it too late to call all them companies NOW after 2 months and just get a name who handles resumes? or will it look out of place by doing that? what would be considered active searching? Is sending resumes online considered that?

Thank You

IF you have a copy of such "sent" product, I doubt if the policy of job search criteria requires "setting foot" in a potential employers business.

Some companies now only have an online application process, no phone calls, etc., and as such, no contact person can be identified!!

If you submit, under penalty of false statement, that you contacted these potential employers by an online application, that may or may not be good enough??

There should have been a page to printout at the end of the application that would indicate you applied for a job??

Default Re: What Is An Active Job Search for Unemployment

With all due respect, when I last applied for UI, which was really not that long ago, all the questions the OP asked above were answered in the materials they sent me.

Might I suggest READING it?

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    With all due respect, when I last applied for UI, which was really not that long ago, all the questions the OP asked above were answered in the materials they sent me.

I was also thinking the same thing, but did not know if the criteria was clear and detailed or not, hence the Q's!!

As this is a govt. agency, we all know how confusing directions can be at times, especially if it entails a large # of pages.

The right hand says yes, the left hand says no!!

A careful reading of perhaps a missed part may help the OP, true!!

I can't speak for IL, but in my state there were not a large number of pages; there was one easy to read pamphlet. At least in my state, the UI office is well aware that the materials are for people who are not legal experts and word their information accordingly.

I have never applied for, or had employees who might apply for, UI in Illinois, so I don't know specifically what the requirements are in that state. I do know that in all 50 states, the UI office provides all this information not only at the time of application, but also has people who will answer such questions on the phone. In addition, most if not all states have on-line resources that claimants can use to answer frequently asked questions.

The poster can access this information as easily as we can. I suspect that if the poster does not know the answers to this question, it's because he has not bothered to look at the information provided.

Conceedingly copacetic!!

Presumably the "contact person" is requested such that UI can contact the employer and confirm that the application was submitted. Even with online applications, you can typically find contact information for H.R.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    Strangely enough, the work search record and instructions do not provide this information. Neither does the Benefits Rights Information.

I suspect that this may be because these requirements change. Here in OH, you used to need to demonstrate that you were looking for work by applying to at least one opening a week. The last time I applied for UI, it had been upped to two a week.

OP, you really should call your local UI office and ask. I should think two to four per week would qualify as "active", but only your UI office can answer for certain.

With respect to submitting your resume and getting a contact name, if Monster, CareerBuilder, HotJobs or whoever else you're using doesn't show a contact name in the listing (and I know from experience that many don't), it only take s moment of engaging your Google-fu to pull up the company website and look up the HR person's name. Record that along with the e-mail address you were to have replied to.

Also, some of the sites keep a record of all positions you applied to through their interface. Print those records out and keep them with your work search form.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

Quote Quoting aaron
    View Post
    Even with online applications, you can typically find contact information for H.R.
    Not as easy as it sounds, especially when it's through one of the online job boards, like monster.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast