Default Cashing a Check Payable to a Deceased Person

My question involves estate proceedings in the state of: Michigan.

My mother died in June 08. She had several accounts at a small bank. One was a joint account with her husband (my step dad). The bank was notified of her death, and has a copy of her death certificate. I am the personal representative (via her will and probate). The bank has not removed her name off of their joint account. Several checks have come in the mail (payable in her name only). My step dad signs his name to the checks, and the bank knowingly cashes them. Is this allowed? What can I do to stop this? So far he has cashed at least $4500 in checks made out to her.

Thanks for any help!!!

Default Re: Cashing a Check Payable to a Deceased Person

first, I have to ask, why is it important for you to stop this?

then, if you want to stop it, notify the bank he is cashing them and that your father does not have the legal right to cash the checks. You are the PR for the estate and as such, all moneys recieved in the name of the estate are to be turned over to you. I would request an accounting of all checks they have cashed in your mothers name at their bank.

then, if nothing changes, you will have to get into the possibility of legal (maybe even criminal) repercussions for your step-dad. If you want to go there, simply contact the police and notify them he is illegaly converting the checks for his own use.

What types of checks are these that are coming in the mail payable to your mother only that your step-dad is cashing?
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

As the executor, you can deduct them from his share of the estate.

He has a Life Estate (another issue unto itself). He does not get anything else. All of her assets are to go to her children. The bank knows she is deceased. The bank allows him to sign his name, and cash checks. The checks are reimbursement for co-pays on insurance from 2007.

1. Sponsored Links