Question Unwed Father's Surname on Birth Certificate in Florida

My 17 year old daughter recently found out that she was pregnant and her 17year old boyfriend was the father. Currently, he cannot support her financially but he intends on joining the military once he graduates and after the baby is born. They intend to get married after he joins the military because she and the baby will still be covered under our medical insurance. The father wants to do the right thing and accept paternity and marry my daughter but since it will be after the birth of the child we had a question about his surname being given to the baby. In the state of Florida can the unwed father's surname be given to the baby and, if so, what has to be done to make that happen?

Default Re: Unwed Father's Surname on Birth Certificate: Florida Law

Quote Quoting bartlett135
    View Post
    My 17 year old daughter recently found out that she was pregnant and her 17year old boyfriend was the father. Currently, he cannot support her financially but he intends on joining the military once he graduates and after the baby is born. They intend to get married after he joins the military because she and the baby will still be covered under our medical insurance. The father wants to do the right thing and accept paternity and marry my daughter but since it will be after the birth of the child we had a question about his surname being given to the baby. In the state of Florida can the unwed father's surname be given to the baby and, if so, what has to be done to make that happen?
    Yes, the baby can have the father last name. The mother of the child can name him/her whatever she wishes at the hospital.

Default Re: Unwed Father's Surname on Birth Certificate: Florida Law

Quote Quoting bartlett135
    View Post
    The mother can name the baby anything she wishes. The father cannot be listed on the BC as the father unless he signs an affidavit of paternity at the hospital. The SW at the hospital will have all the info that they need at the time of birth.

1. Sponsored Links