Default Old Credit Card Collection

I recently received a notice from a collection agency stating that I owed money. I couldn't even imagine what I owed on, as I have always paid my bills and have never been sent to a collection agency. I called the agency and they advised me that it was for a credit card that I had almost 13 years ago. I know for a fact that I paid that card off after my divorce, approximately 12 years ago. They stated that I must prove this, however, I have no way of doing this, since I can't even remember what bank I was with back then and I don't have records back that far. Can they put this on my credit report? I have checked my credit reports for the past 5 years and nothing has ever been on it. The collection agency states that they purchased the account in 1997 (from another collection agency) and stated that they never checked to see where I was living until now. I have worked at the same place for 8 years and have lived at my current residence for 4 years and the previous residence for 3 years. Can they legally collect on this? I refuse to pay on it, seeing that I have already paid it years ago.

Default Old Credit Card Debt

You may wish to look at the sample letter in this thread about the statute of limitations, as well as this article on the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.

You should formally dispute the debt, and should assert the statute of limitations as a defense.

Default THANK YOU!

Aaron - Thank you so much for the advice - I will send a version of that letter out asap.

1. Sponsored Links