Default Petty Theft at Walmart

I was caught at Walmart in October (CA). I took the paper strips out of a box of wax, put them in my purse and did not pay for them. The cost that they charged was $6.28. I will have to pay a fine to Walmart, and I cannot enter to walmart again. A police officer went to the store and gave me a notice to appear in court on december 14. Is my first time offense, I've been in the US for 6 months and I am really scary about the court. In October I sent a letter of apology to Walmart, I am genuinily regretful, I learned my lesson. I don't know what is going to happen to me on wednesday, someone can help me? I really need a Lawyer or not?
    this is going to be finish on wednesday or I will have to go to the court again? Which will be my punishment? Can I Leave and enter the country witout problem? (I have a visa)

Default Re: Petty Theft at Walmart

Quote Quoting papelucha
    I don't know what is going to happen to me on wednesday, someone can help me? I really need a Lawyer or not?
    You haven't provided any information as to what type of court hearing it is. (Arraignment?) If you tell us, we may be able to approximate what will happen. Consulting a lawyer would likely be helpful.

Quote Quoting papelucha
    Can I Leave and enter the country witout problem? (I have a visa)
    If you are considering pleading guilty to any criminal charge, you should consult a criminal defense lawyer who is familiar with immigration issues.

I don´t know about arraignment, the paper doesn´t say that word.

The paper is yellow and in the top says "defendant copy" "Notice to appear in court" San Diego county Sheriff´s department and the box of misdemeanor has a check. Then, are wiritten my name, adress (with wrong zip code and city) and the violation (488 P.C. Petty Theft) and I had to sign in a box where says that I promise to appear in court on December 14.

I have to plead guilty?, because for me is weird to say that I d*dn´t do it if I was caught....I don´t know how the legal system works here....Please help me....
    I really appreciate any help you could give me...

Default Interpreter

If I need an interpreter on Wednesday, how can I get it? I called to the court phone number that appears in the paper and are only recorded voices answering, and none of them lead me to ask for an interpreter. What I have to do to get One?
    What are the advantages of hire a lawyer? How much this will cost me?

Default Re: Interpreter

Quote Quoting papelucha
    I don´t know about arraignment, the paper doesn´t say that word.
    You seem to be describing an appearance ticket; it probaby is for an arraignment. That's where the charge would be formally read in court, and you would be invited to enter a plea. It is possible that a prosecutor would be there to offer plea bargains; but in many jurisdictions that would happen at a later hearing if you plead not guilty. Of course, this is a guess based upon the limited information you have provided.

Quote Quoting papelucha
    I have to plead guilty?
    No, you don't. But in the event that you do decide to plead guilty to something, somewhere down the line, you should talk to a lawyer familiar with immigraiton law issues first.

Quote Quoting papelucha
    If I need an interpreter on Wednesday, how can I get it?
    You do need to contact the court - during business hours. If you hire a lawyer, your lawyer should be able to request the interpreter on your behalf.

Quote Quoting papelucha
    What are the advantages of hire a lawyer? How much this will cost me?
    Since you have a limited understanding of the legal system, having a lawyer may help you both understand the system and to get a better outcome. You can call around on Monday to find out what criminal defense lawyers in your area would charge.

Thank you very much for your information....it's helped me to take this more seriously....
    You don't recommend me to go in my own....
    I have two more questions:
    I live In San Diego, how can I know if a lawyer is good to help me or not? Where can I find lawyers? in internet? I want one good, but not too expensive. Are there criminal lawyers that also are familiar with immigration issues?
    The other question is that I want to go to my country for christmas, I have tickets for december 21, do you think it would be possible make it in that date? and the most important, I have a L2 visa, do you think I will hava a problem with my visa and enter to the country again?
    Thanks

I am not a legal expert, but i do work loss prevention and i am working on my criminal justice degree, so i have experience and knowledge in the suject.

In Texas (and i'm sure this is similar in other states), a shoplifting charge of under $50 is a class C misdemeanor. This is the same class that trafic violations fall into. I highly doubt that you will have a problem with your visa for a one-time class misdemeanor charge. Like i said however, I am not a legal expert. You may want to contact a lawer or do some research on your visa status, but as for your court appearence and sentence, you will most likely recieve a small fine. Also considering the fact that jail time is not a possible sentence, you probably will not be able to get a court appointed lawer

Default what happened??

hi there......i just would like to ask, what happened in your case?? im also charged with petty theft and im an immigrant and very worried about my immigrant status.......pls update...thanks

Default Re: what happened??

Quote Quoting scared-n-confused
    hi there......i just would like to ask, what happened in your case?? im also charged with petty theft and im an immigrant and very worried about my immigrant status.......pls update...thanks
    Hello people....
    I too am an immigrant was charged with petty theft. court date was on dec 20th.I had not appointed a lawyer as I cannot afford it. When I went to the court the traffic violation charges were held first. your first court appearence is ur arriangment. I pleaded not guilty since I dint want the petty theft to affect my visa status. I came outside the court and contacted the person who gave me the paper work for my next court hearing. I explained the situation to him saying that Iam an immigrant . I told him that I will never ever get into this kind of situation again.I dunno weather he was convinced or not, but he gave me a disposition and also asked me to complete a shoplifters program on the internet.
    after a period of 6 months the charges will be dropped.but the fact that u were apprahended will always stick to ur name.
    never give ur ssn number when u r apprahended.

I am going to complete the program and also stay out of all this shit.

good luck to u ...

let me know what happ in the court.

thanks

1. Sponsored Links