Hybrid View

Default Refused Service Over Bad Checks

Nine years ago, two employees stole computer checks from my company and went around town forging and cashing them. At that same time, checks of mine starting to come back NSF, because I was not aware those checks were being cashed, causing MY checks to bounce. When I discovered this, I immediately pursued criminal charges against them. My bank froze my accounts and would call me to get permission to cash checks since we did not know how many they stole. The bank also reimbursed me for any checks which had been returned as a result of this. Now, nine years later, I went to rent videos at a store and was denied. They claimed I still owed $300 on a NSF check from that time period. I called the bank to see if we could prove the check WAS paid, and their records only go back 7 years. I NEVER received any notification about this from the company, and if I had, the bank was reimubursing the checks, so why on earth would I leave THIS one off that list? IT makes no sense.

No one can seem to prove one way or the other whether or not this was actually paid and not marked correctly by the company. I am not sure how long the statute of limitations is on something like this, but I fear they can keep this on my file forever, causing me not to be able to cash checks. Any advise or input on this?

Default Bad Checks

I'm not sure where the record of the bad check exists. Is it a store record at the video store, on your credit report, or somewhere else?

Default Bad Checks

The record is at the store. It is a large grocery store chain and a video store. I do not know if it is on a national check registry. Are they able to put it on a national registry, and how long would they be allowed to do that?

Default Re: Bad Checks

Quote Quoting bagonia
    View Post
    The record is at the store. It is a large grocery store chain and a video store. I do not know if it is on a national check registry. Are they able to put it on a national registry, and how long would they be allowed to do that?
    try chex systems see what info they have on you!

Default Bad Check Registry

I don't have any first-hand experience with bad check registries, but presumably they operate under the same restrictions as other credit agencies, so entries would likely drop off after seven years (unless they had a policy to remove them at an earlier date).

1. Sponsored Links