Default Throwing Unruly Teen Out of House

Hi, this is my first post. We live in oklahoma and have a 17 year old who is
    very out of control. He threatens every member of family, including the aid
    of his buddies. he threatens to steel our property, has damaged our property,
    dosen't come home 2 or 3 days at a time, admitts smoking pot, comes home after drinking. this past school year truancy problems, refused to participate
    in class, was finally told to leave last 2 weeks school. He flunked all his classes. because he is destroying this family we must kick him out when he turns 18 this month. my question is as far as him having one more year of highschool my understanding is that still being in school pertains to child support of divorced or never married parents and not as to any legal right
    of child continuing to reside in our home. please help as we feel like hostages in our own home. thanks!

Default Throwing 18 Year Old from Home

Hi, I hope I'm posting on the right forum. We live in Oklahoma and have a child who turns 18 later this month. He has been totally out of control, ie
    threatening every member of family, at times even threatening to enlist the
    help of his friends. He threatens to steel our property, he has damaged our property, stays gone days at a time, comes home with alchohol on his breath, obeys no house rules. This past year as a junior in highschool he was truant repeatedly dispite our best efforts. This family can no longer continue feeling hostage. Am I correct in that as far as him having one more year of highschool with regard to legal age of majority pertains only to child support with divorced or never married parents and not any legal right to continue living in our home. please help, Thanks

Default Re: Throwing 18 Year Old from Home

Child support is payable to the custodial parent, not the child. If the child is no longer a dependent child, the payor should be able to petition to terminate payments.

In terms of a duty to support adult children, all I see is this:
    Quote Quoting Oklahoma Statutes §1012. Maintenance of poor persons by parents Limitations Promise of adult child to pay for necessaries.
    It is the duty of the father and the mother of any poor person who is unable to maintain himself by work, to maintain such person to the extent of their ability. Provided, that the liability of a parent to an institution, nursing home, intermediate care facility, or other resident facility for the care or maintenance of any such poor person shall not be excessive and shall not cause undue financial hardship upon said parent. Provided further, that the provisions of this section shall not apply to charges for care provided by institutions of the Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services or to charges for care provided by Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services outpatient facilities, including the alcohol and drug programs. The promise of an adult child to pay for necessaries previously furnished to a parent is binding.

Default Re: Throwing Unruly Teen Out of House

thanks for your response, but i guess what i'm really trying to find out is, do i have to allow him to live here in this house. We love him always. he is our son, but we can't take it any more. Thankyou very much!

Default Re: Throwing Unruly Teen Out of House

Once a minor is emancipated by age, you no longer have to let them live in your home.

The easiest approach to this type of situation is to try to find him a place to live, help him move their voluntarily, then change the locks. If he has no job, perhaps you can help him find a place that offers rooms for rent on a month-to-month basis, or some similar short-term housing arrangement. If you wish, you can choose to help him out by paying enough rent to get him moved in (e.g., damage deposit plus first month's rent, or whatever the landlord requires". Don't cosign a lease for him, though, as you'll probably get saddled with unpaid rent and possibly with charges for property damages.

1. Sponsored Links