Default How Long Before Abandonment Charges Can Be Filed Against an Absent Parent

My question involves child abuse or neglect in the State of: Does Texas have a statute of limitations that if a custodial parent is in jail the spouse/ex-boyfriend can file abandonment charges on the parent that is in jail?

Default Re: How Long Before Abandonment Charges Can Be Filed Against an Absent Parent

What do you mean by "abandonment charges"?

Default Re: How Long Before Abandonment Charges Can Be Filed Against an Absent Parent

Maybe I am phrasing it wrong. Just abandoment by itself. I was under the impression that a parent had to be gone for more than 6 months consecutively to be considered abandoned. If the parent showed up right beofre the 6 months was up then the individual that has the child/children has to relinquish back to the parent.

Quote Quoting glbclayton
    View Post
    Maybe I am phrasing it wrong. Just abandoment by itself. I was under the impression that a parent had to be gone for more than 6 months consecutively to be considered abandoned. If the parent showed up right beofre the 6 months was up then the individual that has the child/children has to relinquish back to the parent.
    More information is needed:

Are you one of the parents?

Why is the parent in jail, and for how long?

Are there any existing court orders for custody, etc?

No, I am not one of the parents. It is my oldest daughter in Houston. The only charge I know of is revoked probation due to some forgery thing with a money order 3 years ago. She doesn't get to see the judge until 7-31-08. I just wanted to make sure that neither one of the father's(there are 2)for my grand-kids can file abandonment on her. She has full custody. Thank you for your reply.

1. Sponsored Links