Default New York Statute of Limitations on Medical Bills Bought by Collection Agency

I recently learned that the statute of limitations on medical bills is 6 yrs. I am currently paying off a debt incurred in 2000. A collection agency bought the debt from the hospital where I stayed for a week. I've paid the doctors, the labs, etc, but the cost of the room for the week was $27,000+. Since then, I've paid more than $2500 on it.

If I need to, I will keep making these payments until I can afford to negotiate a settlement. However, I am recently unemployed and haven't been able to make payments for the past three months. Does the 6 yr. statute of limitations apply in this situation? If so, when does it start? Can I ignore it and respond by sending the CA a letter? If not, is there a way (knowing the the CA bought the debt for pennies on the dollar) to negotiate a more affordable situation?

Default Re: NY Statute of Limitations on Medical Bills Bought by a CA. Some Payments Made

You are correct that the SOL on medical debts in N.Y. is 6 years.

It seems you have been paying on the debt until the last 3 months so the SOL has not elapsed. The SOL starts from the date of the last activity on the debt (ie date of last payment).

You can contact the collection agency & see if they will settle for a lesser amount - it's worth a try. Any settlement that might be agreed upon, you should get in writing.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

1. Sponsored Links