Question Driving on Private Property Without a License

I started another thread about getting tickets on private property, but here's another question.

Ok, so I live in NJ. I'm currently 15, not even a permit yet. I have some nosey neighbors who always called the police on me for driving. By driving, I mean in my driveway moving cars in and out of the garage because I work on the family cars and am currently restoring a car. I have a real NEED to move cars.
    I was told by a cop, when I was 9 years old, I could do anything I wanted on my property(driving wise). I have recently had an occurence were the police, I beleive, are getting tired of being called to my house for nothing. If they are called they must come. The neighbors call the police on me regularly for one thing or another, but most usually driving.

The latest incident: The car I'm restoring doesn't have a full exhaust at the moment because it litterally rotted off. I was simply moving the car, but because it's loud someone called the police and said I was doing burnouts. When they arrived I was all done in the driveway, but they saw A tire mark from where I rolled through an oil spot and said it was a burnout mark. As if only one wheel would spin... So the cop decided to be nice and let me off with a warning (for something I truly didn't do ) but then told me I cannot move the cars on the driveway anymore(by law), also she said that the motor vehicle laws span to private property. (Same cop that 6 years ago said I could.) So she lied to me at one point or another.

From what I understand, you only need a license to operate a motor vehicle on public property/roads or private property that the public has access to (ie., a shopping mall).

Am I really breaking any laws by driving in my driveway without a license?

Default Re: Driving on Private Property Without a License

Have you considered asking the officer to identify the law or ordinance you are supposedly violating? You can try to find a statute yourself, here; I didn't see the one the officer purports to be relevant to your situation, but I may have missed it.

Quote Quoting marcar1993
    View Post
    I started another thread about getting tickets on private property, but here's another question.

Ok, so I live in NJ. I'm currently 15, not even a permit yet. I have some nosey neighbors who always called the police on me for driving. By driving, I mean in my driveway moving cars in and out of the garage because I work on the family cars and am currently restoring a car. I have a real NEED to move cars.
    I was told by a cop, when I was 9 years old, I could do anything I wanted on my property(driving wise). I have recently had an occurence were the police, I beleive, are getting tired of being called to my house for nothing. If they are called they must come. The neighbors call the police on me regularly for one thing or another, but most usually driving.

The latest incident: The car I'm restoring doesn't have a full exhaust at the moment because it litterally rotted off. I was simply moving the car, but because it's loud someone called the police and said I was doing burnouts. When they arrived I was all done in the driveway, but they saw A tire mark from where I rolled through an oil spot and said it was a burnout mark. As if only one wheel would spin... So the cop decided to be nice and let me off with a warning (for something I truly didn't do ) but then told me I cannot move the cars on the driveway anymore(by law), also she said that the motor vehicle laws span to private property. (Same cop that 6 years ago said I could.) So she lied to me at one point or another.

From what I understand, you only need a license to operate a motor vehicle on public property/roads or private property that the public has access to (ie., a shopping mall).

Am I really breaking any laws by driving in my driveway without a license?

I can not find anything in NJ law about driving with out a license on private property. That is why most likely the Officer gave you a warning. He could have cited you for disturbing the peace though due to the loud exhaust.

Now what I highlighted in red. Yes one wheel could spin and the other not. It is called one wheel peel. This happens alot, all vehicles have differentials. Depending on what type of gear set up that is in the differential will determine if one wheel will spin or both will spin. If the vehicle has a positive traction (posi) rear end then both tires will spin. If it is equiped with limited slip rear end only one tire will spin. If the vehicle is equipped with a gear locker then both will spin, same goes for if it has a spool rear end. I think you need to learn a little more about cars before you start doing alot of work on them.

For now I have rigged a piece of pipe in place of the catalytic converter just to keep it quiet. I think she warned me because they are getting sick and tired of getting called and figure if they can't stop the caller, they can stop the "problem". I will not stop just to please them though. I'm not doing it to be nasty, or out of spite, but simply because of my necessity to do so. I will look a bit further into this. Thank you for the information.

Now, please take no offense to this, but I know plenty about cars. It has a posi and 2.14's, talk about a weird ordered car. Trust me, both the build sheet states so, and I've been inside the rear, there is a cylindrical case between the ring gear and the right axel, within it is a series of clutches. Also, a limited-slip is a posi, as is a "sure-grip", which was Chrysler’s name for it. An OPEN rear only power's one wheel, it's driven through a set of spider gears to allow the other wheel to spin at a different rate than the powered wheel for cornering. A posi, or limited slip, has clutches, which under certain forces release (like cornering) because the inner and outer wheels spin at different rates. Whereas a spool LOCKS both wheels, normally making a tire squeal while cornering. It is normally used only for drag racing, because you go in a straight line, therefore eliminating the worry of squealing the tires while simply turning(also, if turning under power with a spool, you break the backend loose easier do to the lack of traction of both wheels fighting to maintain different speeds.)

WOW! You really are very knowledgeable about cars. By the way, I think was coppette was either bluffing or ignorant of the law.

1. Sponsored Links