Re: CA Civil Code 841.2 ~Shared Fence Lines
there are 2 questions that need to be answered.
841. Coterminous owners are mutually bound equally to maintain:
1. The boundaries and monuments between them;
2. The fences between them, unless one of them chooses to let his
land lie without fencing; in which case, if he afterwards incloses
it, he must refund to the other a just proportion of the value, at
that time, of any division fence made by the latter.
1. do these other neighbors have the rest of their land fenced? If not, the fence may not be seen as a common fence.
2. have you had a survey to prove the property line? If not, the fence may actually not be on the line and belongs to one or the other of you.
I am not an attorney and any advice is not to be construed as legal advice. You might even want to ignore my advice. Actually, there are plenty of real attorneys that you might want to ignore as well.