Default Employer Gave Out Personal Information

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: florida
    this is a triangle of people here, myself, employer(sharon)and her friend(diane). my friend passed away 2 wks ago i have been driving his car for almost a yr now. he told me he left the car to me also.the will hasnt been read yet.
    Diane is my friends executor of his estate. we dont get along. but she knows nothing about me ( where i live either) she wanted the car back i heard but she never said anything to me. and as i said he told me it was left for me.
    sharon(work) and diane are friends, i do very well at work and have execellent reports. last week while at a class for work i was ambushed when i came out. there were 2 very big guys and two women at my car. 1 inside it already about to smash the steering column. when they saw me they demanded the keys. i was afraid because they were screaming at me. i gave them the keys out of fear for my safety.
    i had to get home after being left in another town standing on the side of the road....i wondered how these people knew where i was at at that specific time too. when it hit me one of the women was diane who said she had been by my home address already and i wasnt there.
    when i talked to the office because now without a car i could not work anymore they informed me that sharon was in the office bragging about how she gave out my personal information to her friend so they could get the car.

ok, first question is can she give out my personal info to just anyone that is not law enforcement?

second: can i sue her for placing me in and unsafe situation while i am working?

she also has said things about me to other employees that were outright lies, the other employees working in the office have told me they would stand up behind me and tell what she has said on my behalf, can i do anything against this woman at all.

thank you for any help,
    andra

Default Re: Employer Gives Out Personal Info

my friend passed away 2 wks ago i have been driving his car for almost a yr now. he told me he left the car to me also.the will hasnt been read yet.
    then it isn't your car and you have no right to drive it

Diane is my friends executor of his estate
    .has she been named such by the courts?

. and as i said he told me it was left for me.
    as I said, it isn't yours until the proper actions have been taken to make it so.

sharon(work) and diane are friends, i do very well at work and have execellent reports. last week while at a class for work i was ambushed when i came out. there were 2 very big guys and two women at my car. 1 inside it already about to smash the steering column. when they saw me they demanded the keys. i was afraid because they were screaming at me. i gave them the keys out of fear for my safety.
    did you call the police? I surely would have, right then and there but since it wasn't your car and you had no right to drive it, if they were taking the car for the executor of the estate, not much is going to happen unless they injured you.

i had to get home after being left in another town standing on the side of the road....i wondered how these people knew where i was at at that specific time too. when it hit me one of the women was diane who said she had been by my home address already and i wasnt there.
    when i talked to the office because now without a car i could not work anymore they informed me that sharon was in the office bragging about how she gave out my personal information to her friend so they could get the car.
    your address is not private prvilgaged information. It can generally be found quite easily on the internet.

ok, first question is can she give out my personal info to just anyone that is not law enforcement?
    yes

second: can i sue her for placing me in and unsafe situation while i am working?
    what was unsafe about it? It sounds like all the intended on is repossessing the car.

she also has said things about me to other employees that were outright lies, the other employees working in the office have told me they would stand up behind me and tell what she has said on my behalf, can i do anything against this woman at all.
    slander, maybe but expensive and generally not worth the arguement, if it is actually actionable to begin worth.

then it isn't your car and you have no right to drive it:
    i do have paper signed by him saying i have permission.

has she been named such by the courts?
    i dont know yet, how do i find out. also i dont know the name of his attorney how do i find that?

as I said, it isn't yours until the proper actions have been taken to make it so.
    can she sell it or put it in her name before the will is settled? he has no debt.

did you call the police? I surely would have, right then and there but since it wasn't your car and you had no right to drive it, if they were taking the car for the executor of the estate, not much is going to happen unless they injured you.
    yes i called the police right then, he said it couldnt be considered stolen but she wasnt allowed to take it untill the will was settled and if he were there he wouldnt have let her take it. told me to file a civil suit against her.

your address is not private privilaged information. It can generally be found quite easily on the internet.

i have nothing in my name its all in my husband's. but ok, isnt there a right to privacy act? and she didnt get it from the internet she got it from her friend who had access to my personal file from work.

unsafe?
    what was unsafe about it? It sounds like all the intended on is repossessing the car.
    they were screaming and the big guy had a hammer and screwdriver in his hand, they surrounded me, the one women was yelling and crying she could barely control herself. can i still call the cops on them. the men were towtruck drivers but the women were not. unsafe ...she told them were i would be while i was working and sent them there i thought they were gonna hurt me.

slander, maybe but expensive and generally not worth the arguement, if it is actually actionable to begin worth.
    your probally right. one of the bosses called me today and said the owner was very sorry and wanted to know if it was alright to call me. i wanted to add im not after money here, i want to work with this company i love my job. BUT i cant work with this women and i told them this. do i have any leverage against them to fire her for her actions?

]then it isn't your car and you have no right to drive it:
    i do have paper signed by him saying i have permission.
    but he is now deceased and the executor of the estate now takes control over his estates property until it is disbursed.

has she been named such by the courts?
    i dont know yet, how do i find out. also i dont know the name of his attorney how do i find that?
    probate court in the county of his residence is the ususal place to look. Some states have other courts where probate is handled. There needs to be a case opened to probate the estate.

can she sell it or put it in her name before the will is settled? he has no debt.
    it depends on what the will, if there is one states. She cannot put it in her name though unless she is the recipient per probate.

yes i called the police right then, he said it couldnt be considered stolen but she wasnt allowed to take it untill the will was settled and if he were there he wouldnt have let her take it. told me to file a civil suit against her.
    well, based upon what you have said here, he had no idea if she had a legal right to take the car or not so the police are not always right. If she is executor, she is the only party that has a right to posess the car. You have absolutely none, at this point.

i have nothing in my name its all in my husband's. but ok, isnt there a right to privacy act?
    if there is some law, what happened would not fall under it.

and she didnt get it from the internet she got it from her friend who had access to my personal file from work.
    then take it up with your boss. An address is not considered legally protectable info so there is no law broken, only company policy, at best.

they were screaming and the big guy had a hammer and screwdriver in his hand, they surrounded me, the one women was yelling and crying she could barely control herself.
    if they threatened you, you were assaulted, which is illegal.

can i still call the cops on them.
    you said you already did.

. unsafe ...she told them were i would be while i was working and sent them there i thought they were gonna hurt me.
    telling somebody where you are going to be so they could repo a car is not illegal. Telling somebody where you are so they could injure you is. Were you injured?

QUOTE] do i have any leverage against them to fire her for her actions?[/QUOTE]No. that is a management decision. I would think if you start making demands, they will choose the lesser of two evils but be cautious, that may be you.

Default Re: Employer Gave Out Personal Information

Quote:
    can i still call the cops on them.

you said you already did.
    i meant about the threating part, when i called it was about the car only.

thank you for your help it has been very informative. i shall proceed with caution with management..

Default Re: Employer Gave Out Personal Information

you can call but since you didn;t make it that important at the time it happened, don't be surprised if they do not believe it is a big enough issue to do anything about it now.

1. Sponsored Links