Unhappy Liability For Deceased Husband's Medical Bill

My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: ohio

This week I received a medical bill 2 years and 8 months after my husband passed away. This bill was for 13,000.00. It is addressed to my husband. He signed all the paperwork. I did not sign any. and he has been dead nearly 3 years. He passed away from cancer. And we have not heard anything for all this time. I did pay a lawyer to send them a letter stating that there was no insurance of any kind and that there was no estate to probate.

At another hospital. The cancer center where he was treated there was a bill for 15.000.00, which they promptly at his death transferred into my name and for which I told them I would pay 50.00 a month. These two bills are the only ones that I am worried about. I only make 10.00 an hour and I honestly can not pay for them. I think that I am responsible for the 15.000.00 because I did make a payment arrangement with them.

But am I responsible for the 13,00.00 one since I signed nothing. I am worried because I have bought me a home to live in and am afraid they will put a lein on it for this amount. Could someone please advise me?

Default Re: Deceased Husbands Medical Bill

Regarding the $15,000 bill, you probably are responsible for it since you did take on/accept responsibility/liability for it.

Regarding the $13,000 bill, Ohio is not a community property state so you have no responsibility just because of the state you live in. However, there is a doctrine of necessaries that can make one spouse responsible for another spouse's medical bills. Some states have abolished it & some haven't & in the states that have not abolished it, how it is applied depends on the state & their courts. Most Ohio courts (if it goes to court) seem to take the stand that primary liability goes to the husband & secondary liability to the spouse which means if the husband has no income/assets to pay the debt, liability should then fall on the wife.

Did your lawyer think you might *not* be responsible? You might wait & see what happens due to the letter your lawyer sent - maybe since your husband had no ins. or estate & the bill was addressed to your husband, this creditor might "write off" the debt. (even though *possibly* you could be responsible under the doctrine of necessaries)
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

thank you so much for the info. I am just about at the end of my rope. The Lawyer I talked to said that since we were married his bills when he died became mine. But this bill I had talked to the hospital and we had filled out papers for their programs to help people with no insurance. And I had talked to them myself after he passed and told them there was no insurance or estate even before the lawyer sent them a letter stating the same thing. I have not heard a word from them until I got this letter from them stating that it had been turned over to collections.

I'm not real sure/clear about the letter your lawyer sent. Did he send it right after your husband's death or after you recently received a bill addressed to your husband? If it was in relation to your recent bill, I would hold & see what you hear about the debt after they receive the letter. If you don't hear anything, you might call & talk to them as you did when your husband first passed away.

The bill you received was from the actual hospital right indicating they were going to turn it over to collections?
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

Default Re: Liability For Deceased Husband's Medical Bill

The letter that the attorney that i hired sent the letters after my husbands death. the one I received recently was from another lawyers office stating that he represented the hospital in certain matters ant that the account had been referred to him for collection. And the letter has on it to make the check or money order payable to the attorney general state of ohio but the attorney listed is not the attorney general of the state of ohio. There is also a number to call at the bottom of the page but I am afraid that if I call it that then they will come after me. I made a copy of the letter that I was sent and mailed the original back to the office that had sent it with deceased written on the envelope. Now I am considering going to a lawyer that does family law to find out just what my options are. I recently bought a house and I am concerned that they will put a lein on my house even though my husband was already deceased when it was purchased.

Default Re: Liability For Deceased Husband's Medical Bill

Since you are going to a lawyer, see what he has to say. Good luck to you.

1. Sponsored Links