Angry Ambulance Bill For Transfer Between Hospitals

My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: Illinois

I went to the E.R. with my 2 month old son in Feb 2007 because of signs of a cold as a new mother I just wanted to make sure he was not getting sick. (I was told to keep an eye for R.S.V. for babies born in the winter months)

So When I arrived at the Hospital in my own car after checking my baby a nurse told me he was fine that all his vitals were good.

then comes in this nurse saying that we need to send him to another hospital because the hospital I was at the nursery was under construction. So I said if he is in need of further evaluation I would drive him over to the hospital in the next town. The nurse refused to release him to me of course I was concerned and we had a major argument and said I would take him I'm not going to risk my sons health. one nurse told me all his vitals are fine and your the only one who says he needs further help. SHE CALLED THE AMBULANCE AND SINCE I HAD MY CAR I HAD MY HUSBAND DRIVE IN THE AMBULANCE WITH MY 2 MONTH OLD SON. I WAS NOT GOING TO LET MY CHILD GO ALONE.

MY INSURANCE PAID 500.00 AND NOW THE AMBULANCE COMPANY IS CHARGING ME FOR MY HUSBAND RIDING IN THE AMBULANCE.

CAN THAT BE DONE?

Default Re: Ambulance Bill For Transfer Between Hospitals

You mean, they're charging you for your part of the bill for transporting your child?

Quote Quoting Tx2IL
    View Post
    CAN THAT BE DONE?
    Why would they not charge for transporting your child to another hosp. (with your husband riding along) if your ins. would not pay the full amount?
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

I called my Insurance company and they said they can only bill for the patient.

and my insurance also stated they paid the maximum in ambulance fee that the insurance allows.

the original bill was $699 and my balance now is $262.00

I spoke to a neighbor who is a life long resident in our town and she said the hospitals get kick backs from private ambulance services.

My next step is to write to the CEO of the hospital

Many ambulance companies are absolutely ruthless when it comes to soliciting business. It's gotten especially bad now that the government has 'stepped in' and feels obligated to send out the taxpayer supported 'heroes' every time there's a 'fender bender'. The private outfits are more desperate than ever in the past.

However, you never should have allowed your husband or your son to get into their vehicle. I think you're obligated to pay them...but next time, trust your own good judgment and do what you think is best.

Thanks Chuckycheese but, I feel my rights at this hospital was violated and the CEO will hear from me.

Quote Quoting Tx2IL
    View Post
    My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: Illinois

I went to the E.R. with my 2 month old son in Feb 2007 because of signs of a cold as a new mother I just wanted to make sure he was not getting sick. (I was told to keep an eye for R.S.V. for babies born in the winter months)

Why would you take an infant to an EMREGENCY Room with "signs of a cold" to "make sure he wasn't getting sick"?? That determination could have been made at the child's Pediatrician or FP.

So When I arrived at the Hospital in my own car after checking my baby a nurse told me he was fine that all his vitals were good.

OK, good.

then comes in this nurse saying that we need to send him to another hospital because the hospital I was at the nursery was under construction. So I said if he is in need of further evaluation I would drive him over to the hospital in the next town. The nurse refused to release him to me of course I was concerned and we had a major argument and said I would take him I'm not going to risk my sons health. one nurse told me all his vitals are fine and your the only one who says he needs further help. SHE CALLED THE AMBULANCE AND SINCE I HAD MY CAR I HAD MY HUSBAND DRIVE IN THE AMBULANCE WITH MY 2 MONTH OLD SON. I WAS NOT GOING TO LET MY CHILD GO ALONE.

The nurse made a judgement call after you became irate and arguementative. Her concern was for the safety of your child and the hospital's liability of releasing a patient who needed further evaluation. You could have signed him out AMA (against medical advice), and transported yourself.

MY INSURANCE PAID 500.00 AND NOW THE AMBULANCE COMPANY IS CHARGING ME FOR MY HUSBAND RIDING IN THE AMBULANCE.

You are being billed YOUR PORTION of the bill. You received a service and they deserve to be paid for that service. There are no kickbacks to the hospital from private ambulance services. Kickbacks are illegal. The hospital is heavily monitored by licensing agencies for that kind of stuff.

CAN THAT BE DONE?

Yes, it can be done. You can always try calling the ambulance service, pointing out that your insurance company paid a large part of the bill. Explain the situation and ask whether they would be willing to forgive a portion of the bill. No guarantee, but sometimes it's worth the shot.

Hope the baby is doing well.

Quote Quoting lealea1005
    View Post
    Yes, it can be done. You can always try calling the ambulance service, pointing out that your insurance company paid a large part of the bill. Explain the situation and ask whether they would be willing to forgive a portion of the bill. No guarantee, but sometimes it's worth the shot.

Hope the baby is doing well.

Thank you I will try that.

He is now 19 months a is GREAT

1. Sponsored Links