Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Driving Under Suspended License While On Probation

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Ohio

I was arrested early in May for possession and sentenced to 30 days in Jail with 15 suspended, 1 year of probation, fines, and 6month license suspension.

Well I was fired from my job while in jail and was unable to obtain another one and my parents were struggling to pay the fines and it killed me to see them so stressed and they were really not happy with me at all, they were close to kicking me out.. I have nothing else to sell in my possession other than my car so I called around and ended up getting in touch with a scrap yard in Sandusky Ohio who was interested in buying my car but I would have to drive it there to sell it... No one would help me..

So I took a chance and took off to Sandusky in my car.. I was pulled over for not having a license plate light and was jailed for Driving Under a Suspended License. In court I was sentenced to 30 days in jail with 30 days suspended, 376 dollars in fines, the impoundment of my vehicle and plates for 30 days, and 1 year probation I got home today (I'm from Columbus)

I'm really worried about my previous violation and probation status. My first meeting (I only have to call in because I'm out of town) with my Probation officer from my first offense is on June 25th. I've never been in any trouble with the law before these 2 offenses so I'm unsure about what will happen. I do know that it is a violation of probation to break any sort of law (which I did)

I just need someone who is familiar with things like this to tell me what the probation officer might do when she finds about this or if she even will find out about this (is jail time mandatory?) I really don't want to go back to jail so If that is a likely would getting a lawyer reduce my chances of that happening?

If someone could give their input that would be great, thanks.

Default Re: Driving Under Suspended License (On Probation)

Your PO WILL find out, there's no "if" about it. Contact her IMMEDIATELY. Better she hear it from you first.

It is entirely possible that you'll be tossed back in the clink. I'm not certain how much a lawyer can help you, but it certainly couldn't hurt to get one.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

Default Re: Driving Under Suspended License While On Probation

Thanks Missy.

Like I said, this is my first time being in trouble like this and I am very unfamiliar with the law.. I was hoping that because of the circumstances of my violation and the reason WHY I did it (stupid as it was) wasn't mischievous, they found nothing in my car, I had my seatbelt on and everything but was pulled over for not having a light on my license plate. my intentions were to pay off the fines and I literally had NO other option.. I have a history of mental problems and depression because of my family being involved heavily in drugs, thats a long story but it ended me up with no friends at all and no social connections.. I was pretty much a computer nerd and stayed at home and I was just starting to get out into the world and this happened but the probation officer and the judge don't seem to care about that, they just put me in the same category as all of the other people who violate the law.. I don't fit in in jail, most of the people their talk about how they got into a bunch of trouble with their friends and stuff before they got their and that they planned to do it when they get out and it drives me crazy being there.

I would be willing to accept anything other than jail time. ANYTHING. So I thought maybe a lawyer could help make that happen.

Do you think I have a chance of not getting jail time?

Do you think I have a chance of not getting jail time?
    I don't know your PO, so I couldn't even begin to guess.

If you're sufficiently contrite, you may get nothing more than rolled eyes and a wry "Don't do THAT again, dumbass." That, however, is a longshot. Usually, violating probation gets you kicked back into the hoozegow.
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.

Quote Quoting LawResearcherMissy
    View Post
    a longshot.
    Ugh. I really don't think I deserve to go back to jail.

Um...you DID violate the terms of your probation.

The circumstances are largely irrelevant. If you were driving your dying mother to the ER, you might get out of jail time, but even that is doubtful. This IS Ohio we're talking about here - our law enforcement personnel are notorious for being hardasses.

Quote Quoting LawResearcherMissy
    View Post
    Um...you DID violate the terms of your probation.

The circumstances are largely irrelevant. If you were driving your dying mother to the ER, you might get out of jail time, but even that is doubtful. This IS Ohio we're talking about here - our law enforcement personnel are notorious for being hardasses.
    I'm calling my PO tomorrow and I have a question.. would I be out of line to ask for literally ANYTHING else other than jail time? I will take another year or however long of probation, randoms, community service, house arrest, more fines, longer license suspension, ANYTHING or would that just make her more upset with me for trying to bargain with her? I'm not supposed to report in with her until the 24th of this month so will it make a difference in what she's going to do if I call in tomorrow or 2 weeks from now? Because if I'm going to go to jail either way I'd rather wait until the 24th so that I can speak with a lawyer, get letters or something from my psychiatrist/doctors and have a chance to sell everything I own to try and pay off ALL of my fines and prepare myself before then.. if I were to do that (Pay off all of my fines) before I call her, will that make a difference in how hard she comes down on me? I'm looking for anything that I can do to lessen my chances of going back to jail.. I'm not mentally fit for jail I was on the verge of going insane when I was in there before. I know a good majority of people figure jail is just a time for them to relax and get away from work and stuff but thats not how I feel about it.

Believe it or not, jail is SUPPOSED to make you feel very uncomfortable.

Fits in with the whole "punishment" thing.

Call her tomorrow. If she calls you before you call her, you situation is infinately worse.

Quote Quoting cyjeff
    View Post
    Believe it or not, jail is SUPPOSED to make you feel very uncomfortable.

Fits in with the whole "punishment" thing.

Call her tomorrow. If she calls you before you call her, you situation is infinately worse.
    I'm trying to wait to call her until I get these fines paid off. I found a way to sell my furniture, all of my electronics, and other things to make enough money to pay ALL of it off (which is around 900 dollars) at once, also I'd like to wait so I can get enrolled into this drug awareness class and start going to see my psychiatrist and get a job, I have a bicycle I can take to do all of this and I can get all of this started with #'s to verify in about 3-5 days..

I'm hoping that calling her when I've sold pretty much everything I own to pay off the fines (all of them will be paid when I call her) I'm riding my bike to drug awareness classes, psychiatrist sessions, G.E.D classes, work and my parents are making me do chores and help around the house for punishment. (All of this can be verified) Instead of calling her tomorrow while not doing anything productive at all. I'm weighing out the odds here and I think my odds are better if I call her in a few days when I have all of the fines paid off and I'm doing numerous things in repentance for what I've done.

Also this is the first time I've ever been on probation (or in any trouble with the law) I didn't have anything on me or in my car that was illegal when I was pulled over and the reason I was pulled over is because there was no light over my license plate not for speeding or anything.. she barely even said anything to me before I was booked into jail and never said anything to me before I got out, just mailed the papers home which only said my terms and when the first contact date was (June 24th)

I guess what I'm saying is

calling her now.. when I have nothing going for me other than the fact that I'm sorry and I don't want to go to jail..

or

Call later when I have all of the fines paid off, numerous things going for me (drug awareness classes, a job, a therapist, responsibilities, punishments etc..) and I will possibly have enough money left over from selling all of my stuff and working to hire a good lawyer before I get hauled into court.

Look at it from the other direction.

Calling her now... thereby proving you are an upstanding citizen that made (another) mistake or

Waiting until she calls you... thereby proving you are a weasel that was hoping she didn't find out and now has a pocketful of excuses.

Besides, you don't have a choice. Look at your probation documentation carefully. You HAVE to notify your PO.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast