Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Getting Unemployment After Being Fired For Breaking Company Policy

My question involves unemployment benefits for the state of: California

I worked for a company that allows people to "bet" on themselves and other people in a certain sporting event (its gotta be illegal). I was fired for breaking company policy. I was "betting" while on the clock. I talked to several of my former coworkers about the situation. It appears that I nor anyone else (other than management) was ever told about this policy. I've checked the employee handbook and there's nothing. I never put the money I was "betting" in the register myself. I always had another employee do it for me (cameras everywhere). I truly felt I was taking the extra step. I worked there for 8 months. I was "betting" on the clock for 4 of those months. I had 8 different employees take my money and place my "bets" under my name for me during those 4 months. In 4 months I "bet" a little over $100 total. I won only 1 time (over 10 seperate times "betting").....$7. I was excited. For the first time I freakin won. I told everybody. My boss hears about it and suspends me the next day. A week earlier, I had requested for a transfer through HR (not my boss). My boss might be pissed. That's the only thing I can come up with.

My Question.....

Am I eligible for unemployment insurance? Yes I broke a rule...But I didn't know. It's not something that is made aware to you upon hire or at a later date (until it's convenient). I was "betting" before I even worked there. This was normal to me. My boss looked at me as if I was crazy. I explained my steps and the boss didn't care. The "betting" makes less than 5% percent of the companies revenues. They don't care to tell you about this policy. Mainly because they are getting rid of the "betting". And have already begun this process within the franchise. Sorry for the rant...but thanks

Thank you for any responses...

$7

panther10758 Guest

Default Re: Any Help Would Be Great

Only the state can make that determination. File and if denied appeal

Default Re: Any Help Would Be Great

When you apply for unemployment be sure to say that you were fired for betting. The EDD will send a notice to your employer asking them if the reason you gave was correct. Then they will ask if they have ever warned you of the problem in the past, when/how you were warned.

At that point you pretty much have a 50/50 shot at getting unemployment benefits based on what your employer writes in their response form to the EDD.

IF you are declined benefits - like Panther said you should appeal if denied. Remember CA is an 'at will' state and you can be fired at anytime for any reason - but it is also quite employee slanted to get unemployment benefits.

Default Re: Getting Unemployment After Being Fired For Breaking Company Policy

California is very employee friendly. File for unemployment ins. - it can't hurt anything/doesn't cost anything & if denied, appeal.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

Thanks again to those who replied....Just wanted to say that my UI was approved. Now it's on to the wrongful termination case, which I found out today, the DLSE is going to take. Today is a good day

Thank you for the up-date.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

Quote Quoting DrJekyl
    View Post
    Thanks again to those who replied....Just wanted to say that my UI was approved. Now it's on to the wrongful termination case, which I found out today, the DLSE is going to take. Today is a good day

The DLSE is going to take the case? I thought wrongful termination cases were civil suits only? Who knew?

Quote Quoting PattyPA
    View Post
    The DLSE is going to take the case? I thought wrongful termination cases were civil suits only? Who knew?

They are!!

I had to look what DLSE meant: State of California Department of Industrial Relations Division of Labor Standards Enforcement.

I suspect he means that like the EEOC at times, they actually sue the employer itself as a co-defendant I suppose, when the facts of the case warrant it.

MOST of the time though, the Plaintiff is on thier own in Civil litigation.

Quote Quoting DrJekyl
    View Post

What did they tell you the "Cause of action" was? You can't sue for wrongful termination simply because your UI was granted.

That only indicates the bureau concluded you were fired unfairly, not necessarily illegally.

It doesn't even necessarily mean it was unfair. It means solely that the termination was not for a reason that prohibits UI benefits.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast