Default Property Rights And Emancipation

My question involves juvenile law in the State of: North Carolina.

Hello all, I browsed this website for quite some time before registering to post. A lot of the pre-answered questions helped me, I really appreciate what you guys do here. Thank you.

I'm a fifteen year old female, I'm homeschooled and I'm extremely interested in real estate. I live in a very small town, there are a lot of abandoned homes, recently the city has been burning down these homes as apart of a community improvement project.

One house in particular has caught my eye, It's a very old country style victorian home. The property has long been abandoned and I'm interested in purchasing it from the city and renovating it and rebuilding it. Otherwise, it will be burned down. It violates multiple health and sanitation regulations now. When rebuilding the home I will follow the city codes, and have an inspector monitor it every step of the way.That's not really relevant though, I just wanted to explain my case.

I have an OKAY relationship with my parents, we get along fine. They have always treated me with respect and vis versa. In several months I will be able to apply for emancipation, however i'm not sure if this is the option for me. I want to become emancipated from my parents to gain property and contracting rights that I will have otherwise been denied. My parents are open to the idea, I will still live at home with them. I just want to be recognized under the law as an independent citizen and have the rights to purchase this home and enter contracts without legal problems.

I've had a steady job since I was legally allowed to. I've read the "North Carolina Statutes, Chapter 7B, Sub-chapter 4, Article 35 - Emancipation"
    It just doesn't seem to fit in this particular situation, my parents are okay with this, I'm okay with this, I only want the property rights so my dream isn't burned down!

So my question is, Will a judge grant me emancipation in this situation? Or do I need to be pregnant and living with strange males with abusive alcoholic parents? Or is there any alternative way for me to have property rights without becomming emancipated?

Thank you in advanced.

panther10758 Guest

Default Re: Property Rights And Emancipation

emancipation is for teens through no fault of thier own find themselves in apositionj of self support. Nothing you have posted suggest this. By the way the ratio of successful emancipations is very very very (did I say very?) LOW

Well, That's why I said it was different in my case, I don't want to be financially independent - My parents will still pay for my health coverage, my food, clothing, they'll still school me, I'll still live with them..

The only thing holding me back from purchasing this home is my age.
    I was told that the only way for me to get the right to own a home before my eighteenth birthday was through emancipation. That's the only reason my parents and I want to go through with it.

edit:

My parents support me in this but they will not co-sign anything, they do not want to be involved directly in purchasing the home. If it were as simple as that I'd just pay them to buy it for me and turn it over to me when I'm eighteen. It all has to go in MY name..

Or do I need to be pregnant and living with strange males with abusive alcoholic parents?

None of this would get you emancipated, either.

Your state will not emancipate a 15 year old. For any reason. Period.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    Or do I need to be pregnant and living with strange males with abusive alcoholic parents?

None of this would get you emancipated, either.

Your state will not emancipate a 15 year old. For any reason. Period.
    I have an OKAY relationship with my parents, we get along fine. They have always treated me with respect and vis versa. In several months I will be able to apply for emancipation, however i'm not sure if this is the option for me.
    I've done my research, I am well aware that I have to be sixteen to apply, that's why I said what I did, note the bolded part.

As you appear to understand, the path to emancipation is described by statute, presented in this thread. If you do not qualify for emancipation, a court will not grant emancipation.

Okay - Thank you, I didn't understand that it had so many specific requirements.

One last question, the age of consent in North Carolina is sixteen, I can also get married here at sixteen with parental permission, will being married allow me property rights? So would it be like an auto-emancipation? I REALLY just want property rights.

panther10758 Guest

Dont be insuch a hurry to grow up. The adult world isnt as it appears. However if you can get parental consent you would be emancipated through marriage. However if that marriage ends before your 18th birthday you revert back to parental care

1. Sponsored Links