Default FDNY Ambulance Bill

I was transported to a hospital in Brooklyn via the FDNY ambulance (at the time I did not know this) on July 03rd 2003. I received the bill for the services provided at the hospital by July 13th 2003 (which I paid). On August 27th, 2003 I moved out of NY. On May 05th 2008, NCO Medclr (a collection agency) posted a collection account on my credit report which they purchased from FDNY (as I was told by an FDNY employee). As a consequence of my moving, I never received a bill. As a matter of fact, I would think that 2 months would have been enough time for them to issue me a bill which the FDNY did not do. Now I am stuck with this 482.00 bill. I am willing to resolve this matter as quickly as possible. My question is what course of action can I take with regards to resolving this issue? Is the FDNY partially responsible for them not getting their payment in a timely fashion? As a consequence, am I responsible for all the "interest and fees" that they tacked onto the bill?

Additionally, I called NCO-Medclr today at their FDNY COLLECTIONS UNIT and spoke with a gentleman who called himself Mr. Bellamy who told me that the fastest way to resolve this is to pay the full amount and not the settlement amount of 361.50 if I wanted to get my credit right. Should I follow his advice?

Default Re: FDNY Ambulance Bill

The best way to take care of a bill is, quite obviously, to pay it.

You can try to negotiate their acceptance of a lesser amount as "payment in full", or negotiate for a payment plan - but make sure that you have any agreement confirmed in writing before paying.

You don't give any context for your last paragraph. Who has proposed this "settlement amount" and why?

Quote Quoting Germaine
    View Post
    Additionally, I called NCO-Medclr today at their FDNY COLLECTIONS UNIT and spoke with a gentleman who called himself Mr. Bellamy who told me that the fastest way to resolve this is to pay the full amount and not the settlement amount of 361.50 if I wanted to get my credit right. Should I follow his advice?
    It could be if you will pay the full amount, they will remove this debt from your credit reports (it's called a "pay for delete"). You might ask if this is what they are talking about. If so & you go this route (or whatever route you go), be sure to get any agreement in writing.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

Stall them until July 03rd 2009 and ststute of limitations clears you

Send a letter to the credit agency disputing the bill also.

1. Sponsored Links