Default At What Age Can A Child Choose In Arkansas

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Arkansas

My step-daughter Madison lives with her mother. Her mother is a major in the Army and her job keeps her very busy. Madison has to get herself on the bus in the morning and come home by herself. She is 11 years old. Madison has told us over the last year she wants to live with us for several different reasons. She has talked to her mom several times about moving to Arkansas and her mom's response is, "that is not what I want." Madison is very hurt because her mom only cares about what she wants and will not look at what she wants.

My question is, is there a law in Arkansas stating a child can choose at a certain age what parent they want to live with? If there is, what age is it?

Thank you.

panther10758 Guest

Default Re: At What Age In Arkansas

Thsi question is asked over and over. Ther eis no age other than 18 that a child decides. A judge makes custody order on what is in child's best interest. A Judge could listen to a child and his/her reasonning but final answer comes from what judge feels is in child's best interest. The child's best interest is not always the child's desire. If you want to change custody order then petition court but be prepared to provide good reason for the change not just "the child wants to move"

Your question should not be:
    "My question is, is there a law in Arkansas stating a child can choose at a certain age what parent they want to live with? If there is, what age is it?"

Your question should be:
    "Is there a law in Arkansas stating if it is legal for an 11 year old to be left unattended before and after school?"

There is a question about safety there and in my state if cps finds out you leave a child alone at that age they make you get before and after school care for that child. I don't know what age it is in Arkansas.

There's no law that says an 11-year-old can't be expected to get herself ready for school, or spend some time at home alone after school, although most social services agencies suggest providing appropriate adult supervision for children under 12. More here.

Default Re: At What Age Can A Child Choose In Arkansas

Since my step-daughter cannot choose where she wants to live I have a few questions:

1) What are the chances for my husband to gain custody of her in the state of Arkansas?

2) What is the criteria the judge goes by in deciding where the child lives if we take this to court?

3) Does the fact that her mother only abides by the custody agreement when it benefits her help us in court? She believes since she has custody that her word stands above the agreement. For instance, my step-daughter is supposed to come here the day after school gets out and has yet to be here before July 5th. Two Christmas's ago my step-daughter was supposed to be here the week after Christmas and we saw her two days. Her mom decided they were taking a trip instead. She makes plans for her without following the agreement and then lets us know after the plans have been made.

4) My step-daughter's mother is a Major in the military. We respect her duty as my husband and her met at a military academy and served himself. If we do not get custody of her, can we change the custody agreement so we can see my step-daughter more since they are no longer near? They used to be stationed close and we would see her more.

5) My husband has raised his daughter by himself numerous of times. When she was 6 months old to 1 year old due to a deployment. When his ex-wife was in advanced training to become a Captain he raised her himself for a year. When she was deployed to Kuwait for six months he raised her for the entire year. Does any of this help him in court?

I thank you for your response to my questions. I want to educate myself as much as possible so we can make the right decisions.

panther10758 Guest

We cannot say what your "chances" are as we do not entire situation or both sides. All one can do is file for change of custody and bring all documentation, evidence and, witinesses

Thank you for your reply. I am interested if anyone has answers for the rest of my questions. I really appreciate everyones input. Like I said before, I want to educate myself as much as poosible.

Thank you in advance.

Since my step-daughter cannot choose where she wants to live I have a few questions:

1) What is the criteria the judge goes by in deciding where the child lives if we take this to court?

2) Does the fact that her mother only abides by the custody agreement when it benefits her help us in court? She believes since she has custody that her word stands above the agreement. For instance, my step-daughter is supposed to come here the day after school gets out and has yet to be here before July 5th. Two Christmas's ago my step-daughter was supposed to be here the week after Christmas and we saw her two days. Her mom decided they were taking a trip instead. She makes plans for her without following the agreement and then lets us know after the plans have been made.

3) My step-daughter's mother is a Major in the military. We respect her duty as my husband and her met at a military academy and served himself. If we do not get custody of her, can we change the custody agreement so we can see my step-daughter more since they are no longer near? They used to be stationed close and we would see her more.

4) My husband has raised his daughter by himself numerous of times. When she was 6 months old to 1 year old due to a deployment. When his ex-wife was in advanced training to become a Captain he raised her himself for a year. When she was deployed to Kuwait for six months he raised her for the entire year. Does any of this help him in court?

I thank you for your response to my questions. I want to educate myself as much as possible so we can make the right decisions.

1. Sponsored Links