Default Cashier error - can you keep the money?

I cashed a payroll check at the local grocery store and when i got home i noticed they had payed me $100 more then my check amount was for. am i legaly obligated to pay the $100 dollars back to the store? thanks for any help!

Default Overpayment by Cashier

Technically speaking, yes. But they probably won't figure out that it was you who received too much money. (If you take the money back, you may save the cashier from having to make up a huge shortage, depending on store policy.)

Default cashier error

well, say they know it was me by comparing the checks that were cashed to the receipts in the drawer? could they take any legal action against me and if so what could they do? thanks

Default Overpayment

It's their money - if they can prove you received it, they can take action to recover it.

I have never heard of such a duty. When I operated a cash register, I was taught to count the money to myself and then count it out in front of the customer, because once the money was in the customer's hands, it was the cusotmer's.

Morally, you owe the money. If your consciense is bothering you about taking this money, then I suggest you rectify it.

Default Re: cashier error?

Quote Quoting matt johnson
    I cashed a payroll check at the local grocery store and when i got home i noticed they had payed me $100 more then my check amount was for. am i legaly obligated to pay the $100 dollars back to the store? thanks for any help!

Be the decent fellow you know yourself to be. Return the money and feel good this new year!

I also used to be a cashier and it took a $20 shortfall to get me to check and double check amounts paid out...

Default morally/ethically

I guess it really boils down to ethics. We've discussed this topic many times in business etc.

For most people it comes to religious beliefs. Some don't care and that is their perogative. I know the feeling of "yeah.. they screwed up and I got $100 more for doing nothing".

On a number of occasions, I have gone to the store and the cashier messed up and forgot to charge me for some large items. I didn't realize until I got home. I called them when I realized the error, when I went in to pay them for it, they were so incredibly grateful. it made me feel like such an honest person. Yes, for a brief moment, I felt wow that saved me $60+ dollars, but... then I thought wow, that is the price I'm willing to sell my soul for $60?

I honestly don't know the answer to your initial question. But who knows maybe you would take it back and they would say "hey man, thanks for being honest... keep it "

It all comes down to ethics my friend.

I live here. Actually in a little area called the Knob. In Ohio

That's a bad situation for the cashier. I use to be one as a teenager. The thing is if you have a shortage of over $10.00 you have to pay it back and you get written up. It's insulting and the makes a person feel like a idiot. Some stores do a *in house*garnishment on your check until the shortage is paid off.

If you think you're just getting a bonus from a big company, you're not you're affecting the cashier's livelihood and perhaps she/he may lose a job over this mistake.

1. Sponsored Links