Default Charged With Harassment In Pennsylvania

My question involves criminal law for the state of: PA

I was in a confrontation with a girl and I ended up going to emergency room for stitches that she caused, but she told police that I grabbed her and threatened her, so I am the one who got the citation. I NEVER touched her. Anyhow, I received a certified letter from the District Magistrate with a charge for harassment. Under charges is has "S 18 S2709 SSA1 harassment". It doesn't have the amount of the fine, it just said that if I am pleading guilty, send in the amount specified above, which there wasn't any amount there, or to plead not guilty and send in a check for $50. I pleaded not guilty and sent in the check for $50 and I received a paper back with my trial scheduled for next month. I am not going to have a lawyer with me. I am just going to tell them what happened because I did not do anything wrong. My questions are:

If the officer or the other party does not show up, will they automatically dismiss it?

Will it stay on my record IF they find me not guilty?

If they find me guilty, what is the fine and/or what happens, jail, fine?

I have never been charged with anything. My record is clean and I am not guilty on this one. She, on the other hand has a history of shoplifting. I never spoke with the accusing officer until the following night on the telephone because I was in the emergency room getting stitches when he talked to her and her boyfriend. I talked to 2 officers from a different county that came to the emergency room that night, and they said she would probably be arrested. Her boyfriend lied to police to protect her because she was driving his car when she did this. 5 other witnesses told this officer that I did not touch her and told them what she did, but all these people work and cannot attend this hearing. Please give me your advice on this ASAP. Thanks.

Default Re: Charged With Harassment In Pennsylvania

Q: If the officer or the other party does not show up, will they automatically dismiss it?

A: There's nothing automatic in the law; there may be a continuance. Who knows?

Q: Will it stay on my record IF they find me not guilty?

A: Some background checking agency may have info on your arrest; if so, it may never go away.

If I am found guilty, what happens then?

Quote Quoting lbbk
    View Post
    If I am found guilty, what happens then?
    In GENERAL, one of these:

You are fined

You are imprisoned

You are fined and imprisoned

You are placed on probation

You are sentenced to jail and placed on parole

One more question....why would the total fine amount not be on the paper they sent me?

Quote Quoting lbbk
    View Post
    One more question....why would the total fine amount not be on the paper they sent me?
    You should ask your question of the folks who printed the paper, not me.

I have no idea.

Can you tell me what NORMALLY happens if you are found guilty of harassment? I'm hoping just a fine. And thanks for all your help.

Quote Quoting lbbk
    View Post
    Can you tell me what NORMALLY happens if you are found guilty of harassment? I'm hoping just a fine. And thanks for all your help.
    There is nothing normal in the law; at least I haven't seen evidence of it in the last 40 years.

1. Sponsored Links