Default Improper Display Or Presentation Of Disabled Person Placard

My question involves a traffic citation from the state of: California

4461(c)* Improper display/presentation of disabled person placard
    I am currently 28 weeks pregnant and since last week have been having severe back pain. At work I have no choice than to park at the meters which requires I move my car every two hours. I have received parking tickets because even though I move my car and park in a different parking spot I am not allowed to park on the same side of the street. I usually start parking close to work however by the end of the day I'm parking 3-4 blocks away sometime even more. My father borrowed my car this weekend and left his disabled pass in my car, so on Monday and Tuesday of this week I have been using it so that I do not have to move my vehicle. I'm still paying the meter and I am not parking in a handicap zone, it just makes it easier on me to be able to stay in one spot. I was coming out this afternoon and was approached by an undercover police office that cited me and took my fathers placard.
    The only trouble I've ever been in has been receiving parking tickets and this really scares me because the office said I had to appear in court since it's a misdemeanor.
    Is this going to go on my record? Will my dad get some type of citation? I'm really scared and have no idea what to expect when I go to court

Default Re: Improper Display Or Presentation Of Disabled Person Placard

Speak to the prosecutor and ask exactly what the ramifications of this are.

This seems like overkill to me but you do live in California.

How do I speak to the DA? Do I just call the office and see who's handling this?

Your dad will have to go back to the DMV and apply for a new placard ... he may have to answer some embarrassing questions about why the police seized it, and it is possible they might not issue him another one for a while. I am not completely certain of the rules for re-issuing these.

If convicted of the offense as a misdemeanor, it could go on your local, DMV, and state criminal history record - yes. If dropped to an infraction and heard in traffic court, then it will only go into a local system and the DMV records if you are convicted.

You can contact the DA's office ahead of time, or at court. They may not speak to you without counsel, however. If this is being charged as a misdemeanor, then you may be eligible for a public defender which may be assigned at your arraignment (the first court hearing).

- Carl
    A Nor Cal Cop Sergeant

"Make mine a double mocha ...
    And a croissant!"

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns

1. Sponsored Links