Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Landlord Kept Half

My question involves a security deposit in the State of: California. I recently received half of what the landlord said was my deposit. She said the house wasn't clean enough, my walls were not paint ready and a kicked in door jamb was going to be $450.00 even though she was going to have a new door installed becauuse it was weathered. She gave me a pre--inspection and I did what she asked for. I spent hours/days cleaning mini blinds, floors, cleaned the tile grout with a toothbrush! She said a property management company said they would make it tenant ready for $300.00. The house has been vacant since March 31 and painters and carpet people are still going in and out. I am ok with paying for the door jamb as it was my fault that I didn't report it to the police or my landlord - I had it repaired but not to the landlord''s liking. But the cleaning? I lived in the house 8 years and 3 months and the tubs/showers and tile showed signs of wear! She said they weren't cleaned enough! I don't think I should have to pay to clean when she is ready to rent it. It is still vacant. She said the law says I have to have it as "clean as it was when i moved in", I read that part as only if you rented after 2003 - I rented in 2000. It isn't going to look the same after 8 years! I put up with the landlord taking months to reimburse me for agreed repairs, entering my house without permission many times, and waiting over 6 months to send me an accumulation of water bills that were over my allotment (she had to reimburse me so she decided to give me the bills at that time), and I went almost a year with a hole in my ceiling with water pouring the floor below and a blown down fence! Making iit worse, I found my lease contract after I moved and it said I paid first and last AND a security deposit even though she said she had check numbers saying I didn't. Neither of us can get copies of checks or statements as iit iis too many years - so its just the lease agreement.
    Where do i go from here?

panther10758 Guest

Default Re: Landlord Kept Half

Your Landlord has 21 days to provide an itemized letter saying what your deposit went to. If he has done this he is in complaince. Did you tak epicutres or video when you left? If not your dead in the water

panther10758 Guest

Read California Tenant/Landlord regulations here

Yes, i got a list of repair estimates - one was for a $50 charge to make walls "paint ready", $300 charge for the cleaning when the house becomes ready to lease again and $450 estimate (no receipt or name of who she got the estimate from). She said I paid a $1400 deposit so she only sent me $650.00 of it and deducted the above. Something I didn't mention - When she gave me my pre-inspection that I didn't know about until i looked it upp, she said I should have the carpets professionally cleaned. I told her that since the carpet was over 10 years old, it was not going to look the same as it did when i moved in, but that I would use my own carpet cleaner to clean it. After spending hours cleaning all the carpet, a week later she told my son who happened to come upon her in my house while I was out of town, that I didn't need to clean the carpets, she wass installing new!!

Oh and yes - I do have pictures! But i should have taken more and better ones - she is claiming things like the shower and tub floor aren't clean enough - the finiish iis actually coming up

Officially across the country from where I've been all my life

According to the civil code, she needs to provide receipts for anything she's done that costs more than $126.

The simple fact of the matter is this. If you feel like you are entitled to more than what you got back, you are more than welcome to sue in small claims and let a judge decide.

What scares me more is "she said I paid a $1400 deposit..." You don't know how much your deposit is/was???
    If you wanted babies all to yourself, you should have created them by yourself. Until you do that, children have the right to BOTH parents, especially since you found them suitable to procreate with.

I know - stupid. It was over 8 years ago. My lease agreement says I paid first and last and a $1250.00 security deposit. When I showed my landlord she said I only paid the security and a $250.00 pet deposit. She only has check numbers not actual checks or statement. My bank cannot go back that far. I honestly donn't remember and only have my lease to go by.

panther10758 Guest

Well any dispute you might have you will need that info without it your sunk. Years ago we rented a house stayed there until Landlord turned house over to new owner due to a dispute of some kind. Later whn I needed a ne wplace I sought this old landlord out and we now rent form them again. Even thugh we are their best tenants I keep every piece of paper and reciept we exchange as do they. Not doing so can put in the bind your in now. by the way your bank may have those records you might push a little harder maybe go up the latter some

Thank you and believe me I have made several attempts at the bank to get the canceled checks//statement!! My stupidy for not keeping records may cost me what I paid for the last month, but I don't think the cleaning fee is fair at all.

panther10758 Guest

Landlord has documentation you have nothing. Chances of you coming out ahead is very very slim.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast