Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Caught Shoplifting - Misdemeanor 1st Offense

I was caught shoplifting at Kohl's... I stole a purse, three pairs of pajama shorts and a pair of pajama pants (totalling $108) I walked out of the store and got into my car and the LP came up to my car window (I heard somewhere they can't do anything if your already in your car) and told me that if I gave her her merch back, she wouldn't call the cops and there wouldn't be any problems, so I gave her the stuff back and she told me to come with her and I said no because she said she was going to let me go... so she told me that if I leave she'll call 911 and tell them I fled the crime scene and started dialing 911 then took my keys out of my hands and my purse out of my car (is she allowed to do that?) and I just went with her back inside. Inside the store she told me that she had seen me in the store before shoplifting, but this is the first time I've ever been caught. She called the cops and told them I failed to cooperate and they came and got me and took me to jail and I had a $150 bail. The LP said they could charge me up to 10x the amount of the cost of the stolen merch (which would be 1,080 dollars) since I'm 17 yrs old and I would be recieving a letter in the mail from them... I have a court date in a few days... What is going to happen to me? Is there any way I could get off? Do I plead guilty or not guilty? What should I do? I've defintely learned my lesson and I will NEVER steal EVER again.. I'm so scared.. PLEASE HELP ME! :/

Default Caught Shoplifting

You got caught shoplifting. If you wish to defend against the charge, you should consult a local criminal defense lawyer. Also, a local criminal defense lawyer should be able to advise you as to whether there are any diversion programs or sentencing alternatives that could help you avoid a criminal record.

Default reply

does that lawyer cost money? because I don't have money to pay for one, and is it possible for them to charge me 10x the amount? I live in Michigan and thats where it happened. Should I plead guilty or not guilty?

when you go to court ask for a public defender. Because your 17 I think they can charge you as an adult and this could be on your record for a long, long time.

do you have any idea of what would happen if I went to court and just plead guilty? without a defender and what not.... do you know what my punishment would be? I dont have money to hire a lawyer and I heard that the free lawyer you get if you can't afford one won't help much & I just want to get this over with and taken care of, I will NEVER EVER steal or even think of stealing ever again.

If you are 17, in Michigan you would be convicted as an adult, and you will get an adult criminal record. Your most likely penalty will be probation, a fine, and possibly community service or participation in a county work program.

Stop listening to the idle notions of your friends. They aren't lawyers.

Default a few more questions....

if you are 17 and convicted, how long does it take to get erased from your record, if it can be at all?

and does the court let you pay back your fines in payments? along with the civil demand money you have to pay back to the store? do you know how long they give you to pay?

Default Re: a few more questions....

Quote Quoting imessedup
    if you are 17 and convicted, how long does it take to get erased from your record, if it can be at all?
    Your conviction would remain on your record unless it is expunged. Under Michigan law "An application shall not be filed until at least 5 years following imposition of the sentence for the conviction that the applicant seeks to set aside or 5 years following completion of any term of imprisonment for that conviction, whichever occurs later." There is no guarantee that expungement will be granted.

Quote Quoting imessedup
    and does the court let you pay back your fines in payments? along with the civil demand money you have to pay back to the store? do you know how long they give you to pay?
    The court will generally permit monthly payments over the course of your probation. The civil demand is separate from the criminal action, and the court's sentence won't have any effect on it or when it is to be paid.

thank you so much for all your help.

For anyone who thinks they know what a LP's can and can't do; you know nothing and been listen to too many ignorant people

We can do what ever it takes to get you back with in reason. I've busted out peoples windows and pulled them out of their vehicle. If you step it up a notch we step it up one notch higher. Some of my cases they have left in a ambulance. So quit listening to who ever told you this and let them find this out for themself.

quit trying to find a loop hole because there is none the simple fact is you shoplifted none be an adult and face the punishment for the crime and grow up. You can see if the courts there have any kind of pre-trail diversion programs or not which is going to be hard to do since you had to go and act up to the LP by not cooperating with them. Did you tell the LP that she couldn't do what she was doing? I bet you did and this did not help you out any, now if they have something else on you from a preivous incident they can add this to your charge.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast