Default Child Support Based Off Fathers' Social Security Disability, Is My Child Eligible?

My question involves child support in the State of: Illinois. My childs father began recieving SSI and SSD when My son was about a year old. Since then I have been recieving $48.00 per MONTH as Child Support. My child support is based off of the check he recieves for SSD which based off of what he earned while working before filing for SS benefits. This check is significantly lower than his SSI check. I have tried going through child Support Enforcement to have a modification review done to have the amount of child support increased, and they informed me that there was nothing they could do. I contacted The SS Administration and they said that my child was NOT entitled to anything other then the 48/month he is already recieving. According to them my childs father did notpay enough "into it" for my son to be elgible to recieve a check as a dependent of a parent who is disabled and unable to work. So my question is if there is anything I can do to get benefits for my son or get his father to have to up his amount in child support?

Officially across the country from where I've been all my life

Default Re: Child Support Based Off Fathers' Social Security Disability, Is My Chilld Eligibl

No. But other than what you are already currently receiving, what other "benefits" are you looking to receive? Medical?
    If you wanted babies all to yourself, you should have created them by yourself. Until you do that, children have the right to BOTH parents, especially since you found them suitable to procreate with.

Default Re: Child Support Based Off Fathers' Social Security Disability, Is My Chilld Eligibl

Quote Quoting mommyofone
    View Post
    My question involves child support in the State of: Illinois. My childs father began recieving SSI and SSD when My son was about a year old. Since then I have been recieving $48.00 per MONTH as Child Support. My child support is based off of the check he recieves for SSD which based off of what he earned while working before filing for SS benefits. This check is significantly lower than his SSI check. I have tried going through child Support Enforcement to have a modification review done to have the amount of child support increased, and they informed me that there was nothing they could do. I contacted The SS Administration and they said that my child was NOT entitled to anything other then the 48/month he is already recieving. According to them my childs father did notpay enough "into it" for my son to be elgible to recieve a check as a dependent of a parent who is disabled and unable to work. So my question is if there is anything I can do to get benefits for my son or get his father to have to up his amount in child support?
    How much is your ex recieving in SSDI (not the SSI)?

It doesn't make sense that he would be eligible for SSDI and his child wouldn't be eligible for benefits from SSA. Unless your ex is only recieving a few dollars in SSDI.

Have you spoken to a supervisor at SSA about the situation. I'm far from being an expert, but I do know that when a parent recieves SSDI their child is also eligible for SS benefits, so maybe you should speak to a supervisor about it.

I just reread your post and noticed something- is the $48 per month paid out of ex's SSDI and is the amount the court ordered?
    Or, is the $48 the actual SS benefit for your son, and the court has not ordered ex to pay anything?

That $48 was court ordered, and when I went back and said that I wanted a modification done they look at what he was recieving as far as SSD and said that it wasnt worth it because he gets a very small amount from SSD, which in turn is why SS administration also said that my son would not get much more than he is now, and that he is not eligible to get his own check from ss because of his fathers disability.

1. Sponsored Links