Default Permit Driving WIthout Licensed Driver

I live in California. I am 23. I have a permit. What kind of trouble can I get into if I am driving without a licenced driver and there above the age of 18? What kind of trouble can I get into if my children who are 5 and 2 are in the car with me?

Default Re: Permit Driving WIthout Licensed Driver

Quote Quoting clubzwubz
    View Post
    I live in California. I am 23. I have a permit. What kind of trouble can I get into if I am driving without a licenced driver and there above the age of 18? What kind of trouble can I get into if my children who are 5 and 2 are in the car with me?
    You can get cited or, possibly, arrested. You car can be impounded for 30 days. And, in a real stretch, you could be charged with child endangerment.

Most likely, you would lose the car for 30 days (and that will cost you nearly $2,000) and you will be cited for a misdemeanor criminal offense, and your license will be withheld for yet another year.

- Carl
    A Nor Cal Cop Sergeant

"Make mine a double mocha ...
    And a croissant!"

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns

Smile Re: Permit Driving WIthout Licensed Driver

Thank you very much you've been most helpful. Because of this information I schedualed my driver portion of the test for the end of this month. However, Child Endagerment seems like a bit of a stretch though. I don't doubt that it could happen, but that just seems like it would be a cop thats justs a real stickler and a paper pusher. Do they have to impound the car? They just can't tell you to go home or even follow you home?

Quote Quoting clubzwubz
    View Post
    Thank you very much you've been most helpful. Because of this information I schedualed my driver portion of the test for the end of this month.
    Good call.

However, Child Endagerment seems like a bit of a stretch though.
    I agree. But, I have heard through the grapevine that such a charge was brought at one point somewhere. And, if you were a divorced parent, I guarantee that the estranged parent would be calling the cops all the time telling them you were driving unlicensed. This happens just about every day!

Do they have to impound the car? They just can't tell you to go home or even follow you home?
    It depends a great deal on agency policy. Most agencies would require the impound. None would allow you to drive home (unless the officer were a moron) as there would be a HUGE liability to the officer if anything happened after he or she permitted you to drive away.

Some might allow you to secure the car and call for a ride ... and give you a misdemeanor citation. But, many - like mine - would hook the car for 30 days. So, get that test done ASAP.

- Carl
    A Nor Cal Cop Sergeant

"Make mine a double mocha ...
    And a croissant!"

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns

Officially across the country from where I've been all my life

Quote Quoting cdwjava
    View Post
    I agree. But, I have heard through the grapevine that such a charge was brought at one point somewhere. - Carl
    I know of someone in my area this actually happened to.....
    If you wanted babies all to yourself, you should have created them by yourself. Until you do that, children have the right to BOTH parents, especially since you found them suitable to procreate with.

1. Sponsored Links