Default Requirements Of Emancipation At Age 16

hi. im 16 years old & ive been researching on emancipation for quite sometime now. i think that iam better off on my own then iam at home. my dad is major anger issues. he started becoming out of control when i was about 11 or 12. my brother started to drugs & get in trouble with the law and ever since then their have been problems for years. & since my brother moved out when he was 17, my dad turned his anger towards me. he gets mad if i look at him for too long & he sometimes slams me around & shakes me & pins me down on my bed and squeezes my face really hard. there has been so much stress in my house that it has affected me pretty bad id say. ever since things have gotten worse i have been outrageously stressed & depressed, i dont get any sleep, & its effecting my school work. everything has gotten a lot worse for the past 3 years and i personally think im a lot better on my own. the only thing is; i dont have a job therefore i dont have any money. but; what i was wanting to know regarding that is if i was to try and get emancipated, would i be aloud to move in with my boyfriend & his mom. they have offered to let me live there & would take full repsonisbility of me. they said they will do whatever it takes to prove that they are good people and will take good care of me. so i was wanting to kno what all requirements a 16 year old girl would need to be able to get emancipated. i have thought long & hard about this & i think its the right thing to do. also, i did get arrested about 3-4 weeks ago & iam on probabtion until june 5th. so i was wondering if this would affect me gettin emancipated if it was to happen.

someone please give me something to go off here so i can have an idea of what i could possibly try & do & so it can give me more information & more to thank about. thanks again! :]

Default Re: Requirements Of Emancipation At Age 16

Kokomo, Indiana?

No. You absolutely would not be allowed to move in with your boyfriend and his mom.

For one thing, there is NO chance whatsoever that any judge will emancipate a 16 year old so that she can live with her boyfriend (mother of said boyfriend not withstanding). Secondly, emancipation requires SELF support, not living with someone else and having them support you.

Being arrested also shows you're not mature or responsible enough to be on your own.

If you are being abused you need to contact CPS.

panther10758 Guest

Not going to happen but here knock yourself out

TITLE 31. FAMILY LAW AND JUVENILE LAW

ARTICLE 34. JUVENILE LAW: CHILDREN IN NEED OF SERVICES

CHAPTER 20. DISPOSITIONAL DECREES

§ 31-34-20-6. Emancipation of child.

(a) The juvenile court may emancipate a child under section 1(5) [IC 31-34-20-1(5)] of this chapter if the court finds that the child:

(1) wishes to be free from parental control and protection and no longer needs that control and protection;

(2) has sufficient money for the child's own support;

(3) understands the consequences of being free from parental control and protection; and

(4) has an acceptable plan for independent living.

(b) If the juvenile court partially or completely emancipates the child, the court shall specify the terms of the emancipation, which may include the following:

(1) Suspension of the parent's or guardian's duty to support the child. In this case the judgment of emancipation supersedes the support order of a court.

(2) Suspension of the following:

(A) The parent's or guardian's right to the control or custody of the child.

(B) The parent's right to the child's earnings.

(3) Empowering the child to consent to marriage.

(4) Empowering the child to consent to military enlistment.

(5) Empowering the child to consent to:

(A) medical;

(B) psychological;

(C) psychiatric;

(D) educational; or

(E) social services.

(6) Empowering the child to contract.

(7) Empowering the child to own property.

(c) An emancipated child remains subject to the following:

(1) IC 20-8.1-3 concerning compulsory school attendance.

(2) The continuing jurisdiction of the court.

TITLE 31. FAMILY LAW AND JUVENILE LAW

ARTICLE 37. JUVENILE LAW: DELINQUENCY

CHAPTER 19. DISPOSITIONAL DECREES

§ 31-37-19-27. Emancipation of child.

(a) The juvenile court may emancipate a child under section 1(5) or 5(b)(5) [IC 31-37-19-1(5) or IC 31-37-19-5(b)(5)] of this chapter if the court finds that the child:

(1) wishes to be free from parental control and protection and no longer needs that control and protection;

(2) has sufficient money for the child's own support;

(3) understands the consequences of being free from parental control and protection; and

(4) has an acceptable plan for independent living.

(b) Whenever the juvenile court partially or completely emancipates the child, the court shall specify the terms of the emancipation, which may include the following:

(1) Suspension of the parent's or guardian's duty to support the child. In this case the judgment of emancipation supersedes the support order of a court.

(2) Suspension of:

(A) the parent's or guardian's right to the control or custody of the child; and

(B) the parent's right to the child's earnings.

(3) Empowering the child to consent to marriage.

(4) Empowering the child to consent to military enlistment.

(5) Empowering the child to consent to:

(A) medical;

(B) psychological;

(C) psychiatric;

(D) educational; or

(E) social services.

(6) Empowering the child to contract.

(7) Empowering the child to own property.

(c) An emancipated child remains subject to:

(1) IC 20-8.1-3 concerning compulsory school attendance; and

(2) the continuing jurisdiction of the court.

1. Sponsored Links