Question Police Refused To Write An Accident Report

Rearended at red light.Police refuses to write a ticket to at fault person.Moreover,police refuse to write an accident report which resulted in my fiance being injured.Somebody please help?
    confused in texas
    honmonluv

Default Re: Police Refused To Write An Accident Report

I'd head straight for the police station with all the pertinent information you can muster. The sooner you get it straightened out, the better the outcome.

The police do not have to write a ticket to a party at fault for a traffic collision ... assuming, of course, the other party was at fault. Depending on the law in Texas, not all officers may be able to legally write a citation for causing the collision. In my state only officers with special training are permitted to write these cites, and most collisions - even injury collisions - do not result in citations.

Was your fiancÚ complaining of injury at the scene of the collision when the police were there? Or later?

If they were required to take a report for a person being injured, then you need to go to the station and ask if one can be taken. However, understand that insurance companies are not required to abide by the police report when they decide upon liability. A police report will not likely make a whole lot of difference to any claim you have against the other party.

- Carl
    A Nor Cal Cop Sergeant

"Make mine a double mocha ...
    And a croissant!"

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns

Maybe the officer might not be able to write a report because they need someone from accident investigation. I know that in Houston there are officers such as (mobility response or parking enforcement officers) that can only give you a state "blue form" and this would let the drivers settle it with the insurance company. The officers that would issue a police report would have to actual police officers and unless the accident was big the accident unit might not respond. Best thing is to go to the police station and give them all your information along with the officers name.

Quote Quoting honmonluv
    View Post
    Rearended at red light.Police refuses to write a ticket to at fault person.Moreover,police refuse to write an accident report which resulted in my fiance being injured.Somebody please help?
    confused in texas
    honmonluv
    Often times in Texas when the accident is minor (little damage/no injuries) the police will simply have the parties fill out a C-2 Blue Form.
    http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/ftp/forms/st-2.pdf

If your fiance's injuries were not apparent at the time and the damage was minor, it is very common for the cops to let you each submit your own Blue Form and work it out through the insurance companies.

(See also: http://www.ci.sat.tx.us/sapd/bluefor...=1024&ver=true)

1. Sponsored Links