Default Child Support Termination In Indiana

I have religiously upheld all support agreements from the time of divorce until now - about 14 yrs. About five years ago, my ex filed a claim for additional support (it was denied). However, the court ordered an automatic withdrawal from my paychecks that goes to an agency in Florida (where I now live), and then gets forwarded to her. My sons are now 19 and 17. The oldest is in college, and the youngest will enter college in 2009.
    I know that Indiana emancipation doesn't happen until they are 21. However, I pre-paid certain support (I was stupidly being nice - as the adage says, "no good deed goes unpunished"). Because of this, I have already paid more than required for the entire duration, until they both are 21. So my questions are:
    1) Can I get the courts to lift the support agreement, so that I can send money directly to the boys for their college?
    2) What do I need to do to get the automatic paycheck withdrawal order removed? Do I need to file an action and, if so, with who? Florida or Indiana?
    3) If I pay until they reach 21, will the withdrawal order be automatically lifted, or do I need to file something? Do I need to contact my employer to have the deduction removed? Will half of it be automatically removed when the older son reaches 21?

Default Re: Child Support Termination In Indiana

Quote Quoting LakelandDad
    View Post
    I have religiously upheld all support agreements from the time of divorce until now - about 14 yrs. About five years ago, my ex filed a claim for additional support (it was denied). However, the court ordered an automatic withdrawal from my paychecks that goes to an agency in Florida (where I now live), and then gets forwarded to her. My sons are now 19 and 17. The oldest is in college, and the youngest will enter college in 2009.
    I know that Indiana emancipation doesn't happen until they are 21. However, I pre-paid certain support (I was stupidly being nice - as the adage says, "no good deed goes unpunished"). Because of this, I have already paid more than required for the entire duration, until they both are 21. So my questions are:
    1) Can I get the courts to lift the support agreement, so that I can send money directly to the boys for their college?
    2) What do I need to do to get the automatic paycheck withdrawal order removed? Do I need to file an action and, if so, with who? Florida or Indiana?
    3) If I pay until they reach 21, will the withdrawal order be automatically lifted, or do I need to file something? Do I need to contact my employer to have the deduction removed? Will half of it be automatically removed when the older son reaches 21?
    Has the original support order been registered in Florida?

Default Re: Child Support Termination In Indiana

I'm not sure about the legalities, but the case was transferred to Florida when she requested additional support. The judge ruled that she was not entitled to this, but based on legal precedent, felt that he had to order that the support payments went through the legal channels here in Florida (up until that time, I had sent support payments directly to her). Does this constitute "registration"?

1. Sponsored Links