Unhappy Married, Living and Filing Separately, But Don't Know Spouse's SSN

Greetings. A question regarding filing taxes separately...

My significant other is in the final stages of a divorce. He has been living apart from his wife for a year. They are filing their taxes separately. The problem is, he doesn't know her SSN and she won't give it to him even if he asks.

What can he do to avoid repercussions from the IRS?

Thank you.

Default Re: Married Filing/living Separately, Don't Know Spouse's SSN (Ohio)

Presumably they filed jointly in the past?

Tell him to dig up an old tax return and get it from that.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

Default Re: Married Filing/living Separately, Don't Know Spouse's SSN (Ohio)

If he is doing the paper work himself he can ask the IRS for a copy of last years tax return if they filed joint last year. Or did a company file the papers and you can get a copy that way?

I personally wouldn't worry I'd write her name down on the paper and tell them she refuses to tell you her number. Good Luck.

Default Re: Married, Living and Filing Separately, But Don't Know Spouse's SSN

Quote Quoting flyawaybird
    View Post
    Greetings. A question regarding filing taxes separately...

My significant other is in the final stages of a divorce. He has been living apart from his wife for a year. They are filing their taxes separately. The problem is, he doesn't know her SSN and she won't give it to him even if he asks.

What can he do to avoid repercussions from the IRS?

Thank you.
    Getting a copy of a prior tax return in order to obtain her Social Security number is certainly one very good option.

Another option is to send in a paper return with a disclosure note that he was unable to obtain her social security number from her.

Another option, which is trickier, is to file the return as single, but to not take any credits or deductions that would be disallowed on a married filing separately return. (the tax rate schedules for singles and married filing separately are the same) This would allow the return to be filied electronically, but the figures would still be accurate.

However, as I said, that last option is tricky. You have to be certain that the bottom line comes out exactly the same as if he were filing married filing separately.

1. Sponsored Links