Default Property Line Dispute In Kentucky

We live in the county in a small town in Kentucky. Have owned the property for 18 years. The fence that is one end of the property was already there when I bought the land. There was a fence on the other side and around back of property I put fence up with the fence rolls that was already there. The property owner next door ownes all the way around me. He helped put up the fence that has been up since I lived here. But after 18 years the neighbor has decided that the fence is on his property and not on the line. But when ask he first said that was the line then changes his story and says it isn't. Am sure he has moved one of the property markers but can not prove it. Have heard that there is a law that if a fence is up for 7 years that it does become the property line. Also while I was in Germany 5 years ago he took it up on his self to take down one side of the fence with out asking me. Can you help me with the laws about these fences.

Default Re: Property Line Dispute Kentucky

The first thing you need is a current survey in order to property determine where the boundary lines are; then it can be determined if the fence is on the line or not.
    You have no constitutional right not to be offended.

Quote Quoting colourfastt
    View Post
    The first thing you need is a current survey in order to property determine where the boundary lines are; then it can be determined if the fence is on the line or not.
    Yes and the neighbor has said that he will pay for a new one but still has not done any thing about it. This neighbor put the first fence up years ago and now changes his story over and over. But it is my understanding there is a law about fence rolls and after so many years it does become the proerty line do you know any thing about this. Also I read that it is the responibitly of both neighbor to maintain the fence and one can not take it down with out the others premission. Do you know any thing about this?

I'm not exactly sure what the laws are in Kentucky but maybe I can shed some light on the situation for you. I am dealing with a similiar situation. My neighbors want to claim some of my land. Just because the fence is there does not make it the propery line. That is what the land survey is for. I tend to put my fences 6 to 12 inches on my property when the neighbors don't want to help or contribute any to the fence that way it is "MY" fence and not shared. This way I can do what I want to it and if I wanted to take it down later I can without any dispute. I also make sure the property line markers are clearly marked at the corners of my property so the neighbrs can see them. If the fence is on the property line proved by the survey then it is both parties fence and your neighbor and yourself are responsibe for maintaining it and one can not remove it with out the others permission. There is a 10 year kind of law here in texas but is very hard to prove. This is where someone uses the land as if it was theirs and no one disputes the use of it for over ten years and it becomes yours. (Usually this happens when there are no fences involved.) Where is the property line marker that he may have moved? Does it show that he owns the land on your side of the fence? Hope this is helping some.

Default Re: Property Line Dispute In Kentucky

Thanks so much for your input. That helps alot. Did have the property suvey and it showed that the fence is about 2 inches over on him in some spots. But not were he thought it was. The fence that he took down back years ago was ours not his. So now we see what happens.
    AGain thank you

1. Sponsored Links