Default Getting a Job Without a Background Check

I have been experiencing difficulty obtaining employment because of my criminal history. I have a record, which is over 10 years old and I have had no additional problems since I was 18 ½ years old (I am 31 now). They are 2 convictions (a misdemeanor of the 2nd degree, and a felony of the 3rd degree) from 1994.

I've looked into expungement, but I have run into a problem. My felony is only on file at the county court, not with the state police, so I'm unable to attend a copy of my record from the state police to include with my application for expungement.

I'm trying to get a job with a company that has strict background rules (they check county & state). I am currently working at the company through a temporary agency (who only checks back 7 years). I know people in HR who have said that other temps have been let go when they try to get a job because when they did a background check (the last step before they offer the job), there was a misdemeanor on their record.

I've heard there's a law that states you can only be turned down on the basis of criminal history if your conviction is directly related to your work (and my convictions do not). The felony was auto theft.

Do you have any suggestions on how to either get this removed from the county record or if it's possible to make the company hire me since, 1. I've been working there for a year now through a temp agency (with the same access/privileges as an employee except benefits) and 2. The law states that it must pertain to the job in order to be held against me?

Default Pennsylvania Expungement Law

It is my understanding that you would have to obtain a pardon in order for a felony conviction to be subject to expungement under Pennsylvania law. You should consider having your situation reviewed by a lawyer who practices in the area of Pennsylvania expungement law.

Unhappy Re: Getting a Job Without a Background Check

My boyfriend is going through the same problem. He's got a misdemeanor which was 11 yrs. ago when he was in his 20s and he's 38 now. He's changed his Life and trying to improve it by pursuing a career in Phlebotomy but bcuz of his misdemeanor he's having trouble getting a job as a Phlebotomist. He tried applying for other jobs besides that but he wasn't able to again bcuz of the misdemeanor. He does have a Expungement pending but it's not gonna be til the middle of November that he's gonna find out the results of his Expungement. We have no income coming in and haven't for the past 5 months now. Without a job it's making things very stressful, depressing, and frustrating. I wish I could help him and get a job myself but I'm disabled and unable to get a job bcuz of my disability. I am getting SSI each month so that's helping us a little bit but it's not much when our Bills amount to more than what I'm receiving every month. Isn't there some way he can get a good paying job without getting a background check cuz we really need incoming income or we might end up out on the streets. Anyone have any ideas or advice ?? BTW his misdemeanor was from soliciting sex from a prostitute.

Default Re: Getting a Job Without a Background Check

You need to start your own thread.

1. Sponsored Links