Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Shoplifting From Walmart

I was caught shoplifting from walmart i had a purse full of scarpbooking stuff. i walked out of the store when a lp came to me and stopped me and told me he seen me put the things in my purse. i followed the man to the office and i dumped out my bag. the total was like 45 dollars. they called the police and took my thumbprint and let me go. i have been banned from walmart for life and i go to court for my sentencing in a month. the question is what are usually the outcomes for a person with a second time offense of petit larceny. i dont want to go to jail or anything cause i plan on joining the military within the next couple of months. does anyone have an idea on what is going to happen when i go to court i live in virginia?

Default Re: Shoplifting From Walmart

You most definitely should speak with an attorney and have some representation before going to court. It probably won't affect your chances of entering the military; the standards are pretty low these days (sad but indisputable). Even so, it might, so you should look into that and be sure to tell your attorney that's your intention...it might work in your favor.

panther10758 Guest

I believe (could be wrong) VA has mandatory jail time for first offense so I suspect some jail time will be issued. Chucky is correct you need an Attorney and quickly. BTW are you still onprobation for first offense and what was outcome of that case?

You can expect a Civil Demand from WalMart. The penality runs from $50 (minimum) to $350 (maximum) - as long as the merchandise is in saleable condition. If you chose to ignore the Demand and they take you to court, they can also collect a maximum of $150 in legal fees.

As far mandatory jail time for a first offense - I have not heard of that. But, being this is your second offense, the possibility of incarceration is increased.

panther10758 Guest

I am unsure but more than one VA LP has told me VA issues a two day jail sentence for first offense. So second would all but guarantee jail. I have no statute to reference so I am unsure its just what I was told. However its likely (at least on first offense) that a suspended sentence might be issued

One thing about Virgina; the felony threshold is $200 and above. That may be the lowest is the U.S.

i read that walmart has a 250.00 theft policy where they do nothing if your caught with less that 250.00 its under a site called walmartwatch.com

sorry just re-read it its, for 25.00. which this was done in my case the 1.49 stupid costly mistake of mine.

panther10758 Guest

I believe that refers to prosecution. Many retailers set a minimum amount to send for prosecution. However no matter what the amount they can seek Civil Demand

ok thanks wasnt sure, sounded too good to be true.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast