Default Overpayments In Child Support

I'm not certain YET, but if I find out my sons father overpaid, do I have to pay it back? We are in MI, he's a teacher and I am paid through Friend of the Court.

I am nervous about this, and do not want to pre-empt the Court if thats NOT the case. Should I wait and see? What if I dont pay it back?

Default Re: Overpayments In Child Support

yes wait and see and they will get it back so don't spend it if you havent' yet. You will have to pay it back. You don't want to take a bad situation and make it worse.

If your ex did overpay, why would you even consider NOT paying this money back?

It's interesting that when a father overpays, the system does not work nearly as hard (or at all for that matter) to assist him in recovering the overpayment, but if he doesn't pay, the law stops at nothing to get that money to the mother. But if God forbid, a MOTHER cheats the system, she's lucky if she gets a slap on the wrist!!

If you're assuming that my post seems personal, it is..my husband's ex-wife owes him over $6000.00 in overpayments and has not made an effort or attempt at repaying that money back. Not only does she owe this money, but her attorney helped her misrepresent my husband's income, the courts are aware of this happening, and she still has not done anything about it! Furthermore, CSEA has admitted they are aware of the overpayments and paid out the overage to her, but puts the responsibility soley on my husband to go get his own money back that they overpaid.

So that's the long answer...now here's the short one......
    If your ex overpaid, then do the right thing and do it fast.

Quote Quoting squirrley
    View Post
    I'm not certain YET, but if I find out my sons father overpaid, do I have to pay it back? We are in MI, he's a teacher and I am paid through Friend of the Court.

I am nervous about this, and do not want to pre-empt the Court if thats NOT the case. Should I wait and see? What if I dont pay it back?
    For now you can choose to wait and see. (definately wait if there is a court action pending regarding any overpayment). However, you should be setting aside some money so that if he did overpay, you'll be able to repay him right away.

Or, another option would be to request to be able to repay the overpayment over time by him paying a little less support until the overpayment is repaid.

1. Sponsored Links