Default What Is Solicitation Of A Minor

I'm wondering what exactly solication of a minor is. I think it's either selling a minor for drugs or money, or sex with a minor?

My daughters father is a felon and so his is brother. His brother has solication of a minor as one of five charges during an arrest. According to the court files, solication was dismissed and he was charged for some strong drug charges. Her father is trying to get visitation and I don't want his brother around her. So this is why I'm wondering exactly what this is. I live in Minnesota if that matters at all. Thank you!

Default Re: Solicitation Of A Minor? What Is This?

Depending on the exact charge/code, it could mean:

609.352 SOLICITATION OF CHILDREN TO ENGAGE IN SEXUAL CONDUCT.

Subdivision 1. Definitions. As used in this section:

(a) "child" means a person 15 years of age or younger;

(b) "sexual conduct" means sexual contact of the individual's primary genital area, sexual penetration as defined in section 609.341, or sexual performance as defined in section 617.246; and (c) "solicit" means commanding, entreating, or attempting to persuade a specific person in person, by telephone, by letter, or by computerized or other electronic means.

Subd. 2. Prohibited act. A person 18 years of age or older who solicits a child or someone the person reasonably believes is a child to engage in sexual conduct with intent to engage in sexual conduct is guilty of a felony and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than three years, or to payment of a fine of not more than $5,000, or both.

Subd. 3. Defenses. Mistake as to age is not a defense to a prosecution under this section.
    ------------

609.494 SOLICITATION OF JUVENILES.

Subdivision 1. Crime. A person is guilty of a crime and may be sentenced as provided in subdivision 2 if the person is an adult and solicits or conspires with a minor to commit a crime or delinquent act or is an accomplice to a minor in the commission of a crime or delinquent act.

Subd. 2. Sentence. (a) A person who violates subdivision 1 is guilty of a misdemeanor if the intended criminal act is a misdemeanor or would be a misdemeanor if committed by an adult, and is guilty of a gross misdemeanor if the intended criminal act is a gross misdemeanor or would be a gross misdemeanor if committed by an adult.

(b) A person who violates subdivision 1 is guilty of a felony if the intended criminal act is a felony or would be a felony if committed by an adult, and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than one-half the statutory maximum term for the intended criminal act or to payment of
    a fine of not more than one-half the maximum fine for the intended criminal act, or both.

Subd. 3. Multiple sentences. Notwithstanding section 609.04, a prosecution for or conviction under this section is not a bar to conviction of or punishment for any other crime committed by the defendant as part of the same conduct.

Subd. 4. Consecutive sentences. Notwithstanding any provision of the Sentencing Guidelines, the court may provide that a sentence imposed for a violation of this section shall run consecutively to any sentence imposed for the intended criminal act. A decision by the court to impose consecutive sentences under this subdivision is not a departure from the Sentencing Guidelines.

Subd. 5. Definition. "Solicit" means commanding, entreating, or attempting to persuade a specific person.

1. Sponsored Links