Default Can A Medical Office Withhold Records For Payment?

In 2005 my pediatricians office did not bill my insurance company for my sons office visits I did not know this at the time. Recently I needed to obtain my sons records for day care purposes at which time I went to the doctor’s office and was told they would not release his records until I paid them $620. Can they do that and shouldn't they have written that off. It's not my fault they didn't bill the insurance company they had all the updated information at that time. Thanks

Default Re: Can A Medical Office Withhold Records For Payment?

Quote Quoting jdarcell
    View Post
    In 2005 my pediatricians office did not bill my insurance company for my sons office visits I did not know this at the time. Recently I needed to obtain my sons records for day care purposes at which time I went to the doctor’s office and was told they would not release his records until I paid them $620. Can they do that and shouldn't they have written that off. It's not my fault they didn't bill the insurance company they had all the updated information at that time. Thanks
    What reason did they give you for not billing your insurance company? Were you getting bills from their office for the past 2 years?

If they are contracted with your insurance company and did not file your claims within the "timely filing" period, they cannot bill you for those dates of service.

They can withhold records for non-payment of services rendered.

No I never received any bill from them I only became aware if the debt with when I recently requested the records. The medical receptionist at my current doctors office stated that in the state of Maryland it's illegal to hold a child’s records if they are trying to enroll in school or daycare. Can they hold these documents and keep a child from attending school?

What reason did they give you for not filing the claims?

I work in medical field and billing, for what it is worth you need to verify with your insurance company (at the time of service) whether a claim was ever filed. If none was filed they cannot bill you for services redered, unless you signed some paperwork stating you did not want to use insurance. Some offices will have you sign a ABN (advanded beneficiary notice) for non covered services. This doesn't sound like the case though.

Quote Quoting phillipatomus
    View Post
    I work in medical field and billing, for what it is worth you need to verify with your insurance company (at the time of service) whether a claim was ever filed. If none was filed they cannot bill you for services redered, unless you signed some paperwork stating you did not want to use insurance. Some offices will have you sign a ABN (advanded beneficiary notice) for non covered services. This doesn't sound like the case though.

They sure as heck can, if they are not contracted with the insurance company.

1. Sponsored Links