Default What Is A SIS Felony In Missouri

I was arrested for first time for shoplifting $1,450 worth of stuff at a local store. I went to court today for the preliminary hearing and they have enough evidence to charge me with. My attorney said the prosecuting attorney is offering to do a SIS felony with 60 hours community service and 5 years probation. What does an SIS felony mean? Will this be on my record forever? My attorney said that basically it means I won't be a convicted felon. But I didn't understand what they really means. Will this effect future employment? If someone goes to look up my criminal record will this show up? I asked her if I will be able to get the felony reduced to a misdamenor and she said that will be decided later. What is the difference between an SIS felony or misdameanor? She told me that I probably won't have to be on probation 5 years--they will probably make it less. I am just confused as to what this all means. Can anyone offer me any information about this. Thank you so much.

Default Re: What Is A SIS Felony In Missouri

Q: What does an SIS felony mean?

A: Your lawyer needs to explain all this. But following are some GENERAL things. SIS means suspended imposition of sentence. You plead guilty to a felony but you are not sentenced.

Q: Will this be on my record forever?

A: Yes.

Q: But I didn't understand what they really means.

A: Sentence will not be imposed unless you screw up. Then you will be a convicted felon after sentence is imposed.

Q: Will this effect future employment?

A: I can't predict the future.

Q: If someone goes to look up my criminal record will this show up?

A: Quite possible.

Q: What is the difference between an SIS felony or misdameanor?

A: Misdemeanors are punished by up to a year in the county jail or up to a $1000 fine or a combination. Felonies are punished greater.

Q: She told me that I probably won't have to be on probation 5 years--they will probably make it less.

A: That's possible.

Default Re: What Does Sis Mean In State Of Missouri?

Suspended imposition of sentence (SIS)

This is a type of probation that after you plead guilty or have been found guilty, you may get a SIS.

You would have to successfully complete what is required of you, and if you do - then your record will not show the conviction.

A felony is more serious than a misdemeanor.

So if you do get a SIS misdemeanor instead of a SIS felony - you would not have to do 60 hours community service and 5 years probation - instead it may be 30 hours and 3 years probation (this is just a guess to show you that the sentence would not be as harsh if it is reduced to a misdemeanor).

Quote Quoting aprillo
    View Post
    I was arrested for first time for shoplifting $1,450 worth of stuff at a local store. I went to court today for the preliminary hearing and they have enough evidence to charge me with. My attorney said the prosecuting attorney is offering to do a SIS felony with 60 hours community service and 5 years probation. What does an SIS felony mean? Will this be on my record forever?...............
    Either you didn't hear your attorney correctly or you are totally not understanding exactly how things were explained to you......

You went for your preliminary and it was found that there is enough evidence to hold you bound over for trial, so now your attorney is going to play let's-make-a-deal with the prosecutor wherein you get a felony conviction, BUT, will not see any jailtime due to the suspended imposition. But the SIS is contingent on you NOT getting in ANY sort of legal difficulty during the course of your probation period. Most likely there will be a sentence length stipulated somewhere that will be your 'destiny' if probation is violated.

I would imagine there will be a restitution order in there somewhere, in addition to all the other 'special'effects'.
    "Stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death.
    There is no appeal and execution is carried out automatically without pity."
    Robert A. Heinlein

i was wondering what your out come was?

The way my lawyer explained it to me is that once you sucessfully complete SIS probation your record is closed to the public, meaning no one can find out about it unless you tell them (including potential employers). The only way that your SIS will affect you in the future is if your are tried and found guilty of another felony. Then the court will be able to view your SIS and take it into consideration before sentencing. So basically your getting a second chance to be a felony-free citizen.

Quote Quoting ChangeofVenue
    View Post
    The way my lawyer explained it to me is that once you sucessfully complete SIS probation your record is closed to the public, meaning no one can find out about it unless you tell them (including potential employers). The only way that your SIS will affect you in the future is if your are tried and found guilty of another felony. Then the court will be able to view your SIS and take it into consideration before sentencing. So basically your getting a second chance to be a felony-free citizen.
    A little late . . . last post was in March

1. Sponsored Links