Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rules On Guests In Apartment Lease

I have a landlord who is very paranoid that my son is living with me, my son is separated from his wife and comes and stays a week at a time when I have my grandson....my landlord says that my son is not in the contract and that my son better not be living with me......can my son stay with me when I let him every other week ???? or is my landlord right ???

Default Re: Rules On Guests

I would suggest your LL is correct. Your lease would be the document to provide this info. Most leases do not allow a new tenant without prior approval of the LL and you r sone staying with you a week at a time and repeatedly could be considered to be living with you.

You may be able to work this out with the LL but I would suggest it may result in an increase in rent for the additioanl tenant.

The other option is to continue to ignore the possibility and possibly face eviction for breaking the lease.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    I would suggest your LL is correct. Your lease would be the document to provide this info. Most leases do not allow a new tenant without prior approval of the LL and you r sone staying with you a week at a time and repeatedly could be considered to be living with you.

You may be able to work this out with the LL but I would suggest it may result in an increase in rent for the additioanl tenant.

The other option is to continue to ignore the possibility and possibly face eviction for breaking the lease.
    don't I have a right to have guests over ? even if they are family (especially family) I never cause any problems here, no parties, noise etc.
    I should be able to have who I want come over correct ? this seems like an invasion of my privacy

guests- yes but he is staying there for a week at a time and it is repetitive. Sounds like a tenant to me. Your lease may even clarify what is considered a guest.

Officially across the country from where I've been all my life

Every other week (26 weeks a year) probably constitutes a tenant in every sense of the word. At that point, he ceases to be a guest.

Quote Quoting socalfem
    View Post
    don't I have a right to have guests over ? even if they are family (especially family) I never cause any problems here, no parties, noise etc.
    I should be able to have who I want come over correct ? this seems like an invasion of my privacy
    Guests, yes. Roommates, probably not. Privacy? Is your LL tapping your phone or installing cameras in your dwelling?

Quote Quoting 4eyedbuzzard
    View Post
    Guests, yes. Roommates, probably not. Privacy? Is your LL tapping your phone or installing cameras in your dwelling?
    Not that I know of (wouldn't put it past him though)
    what about discrimination ? He doesn't like my son either, and because my LL is a recovering alcoholic he thinks my son is a bad person because he is recovering also ( 3 yrs clean of drugs)

Quote Quoting socalfem
    View Post
    Not that I know of (wouldn't put it past him though)
    what about discrimination ? He doesn't like my son either, and because my LL is a recovering alcoholic he thinks my son is a bad person because he is recovering also ( 3 yrs clean of drugs)
    PS I am month to month...no lease

Default Re: Rules On Guests In Apartment Lease

discrimination? What discrimination? He need not bother with some descriminatory action when he has every legal right to stop what is happening.

Default Re: Rules On Guests In Apartment Lease

ok
    so if he gives me a 30 day notice, what is the maximum I have before I have to move, can I extend it anymore than 30 ?

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast