In September, we signed a new lease with our landlord with the three current roommates and one vacant bedroom. In October, a 4th roommate joined and at that point also signed the lease.
Since he has moved in he has become increasingly violent. There have been several incidents of property damage, mostly beer bottles and posters ripped down, and also some very heated verbal confrontations.
We are worried that he will become physically violent to one of us some night when he is drunk, or that he may damage the property and we will all be held responsible.
The landlord lives upstairs, and has heard and inquired about the confrontations, which are extremely loud and long lasting.
The questions I have are:
1. What is the process that is needed to evict just 1 roommate?
2. Is it the landlord's responsibility to start the process or do the roommates need to initiate this?
3. What is our liability if the property is damaged by the 4th roommate?
4. If we ask him to leave and he does so voluntarily are we legally free to get another roommate?
5. Are there any other issues that we may be overlooking?
Thank you for your response.