Default Statute of Limitations For Medical Bills In North Carolina

I received a bill from the county's Emergency Medical Services (EMS) from an accident I had 7 years ago in for about $300 from which I thought was taken care of at the time by my attorney who was handling the settlement. At my request, my attorney pulled a copy of the check and found that it was deposited by a local county rescue squad. The check was made out to EMS but never made it to the right people. This rescue squad is a voluntary organization who is no longer in business.

EMS has garnished my state tax return and refuses to refund me the money since they never received the money in the first place. My question is what is the SoL for collecting on a medical debt (in NC) that occurred 6 and a half years ago? Is there anything I can do if the check was made payable to EMS and not the rescue squad but it was deposited into the rescue squad's account??

Default Re: Statute of Limitations For Medical Bills In North Carolina

The statute of limitations for both open accounts and written contracts in NC is three years.

Is there anything I can do if the check was made payable to EMS and not the rescue squad but it was deposited into the rescue squad's account??
    You can talk to the attorney you already have about recovering the money mistakenly paid to the wrong organization.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

1. Sponsored Links