Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2005

    Default Changing last name on a child's Social Security card

    Can a parent change their child's last name on the child's social security card? Or does one parent need permission from the other?

    My child had her last name changed on her birth certificate and I have not corrected it on her ss card. I plan on changing it back to what she had before so I see no point in changing her ss card. Can her dad go behind my back and correct it?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Behind a Desk

    Default Name Change

    On the limited facts you have presented, it is not immediately clear that you can go behind his back and change the child's name, if that's what you intend.

    If the father properly documents the name change to the Social Security Administration, they will likely update their records and issue a card with the child's legal name.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2005


    Yes, I am aware that I will need the father's permission to have my daughter's last name changed. Just wanted to know if he can change her card without me knowing it. Thanks for the info!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2005

    Default SS Question/Name Change on a Minor

    I have a follow up question to the name change issue concerning a minor. A friend of mine recently got married. She has a five year old son from a previous relationship. Her son considers her new husband his father. The biological father has had no contact with her son whatsoever. In fact the biological father's name is not on the birth certificate. My question: Can she change her son's last name without the birth father's consent? She is worried to "find" the father and fears he could come back five years later and attempt to gain custody/visitation rights. Thanks for your time.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2005

    Default Changing Child's Name

    In most states she would have to get permission from a court.

    1. Sponsored Links

Similar Threads

  1. Consumer Law Issues: Social Security Card
    By daved in forum Consumer Law
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-11-2010, 10:11 AM
  2. Legal Permanent Residency: My Husband Destroyed My Green Card and Social Security Card
    By boynton in forum Permanent Residency and Naturalization
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-08-2010, 02:47 PM
  3. Social Security Debit Card
    By junker in forum Judgments
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-10-2008, 08:40 AM
  4. Credit / Debit Card Fraud: Unlawful Use Of Social Security Card
    By nannie payne in forum Criminal Charges
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-12-2008, 07:16 AM
  5. Social Security Issues: Name Change on a Social Security Card
    By cryssyhenry in forum Social Security Law
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-20-2006, 02:12 PM


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Sponsor
Find A Lawyer - Free, confidential referrals.
Legal Forms - Buy easy-to-use legal forms.

Untitled Document