Default Theft By Taking In Georgia

My step-daughter has recently been charged with theft by taking. Her husband and several co-workers decided to stage a robbery of his place on employment. They took the money, my step-daughter was waiting outside where another person got in her car and they drove off with the money to one of the other worker's home where it was split between them. A total of 4,500.00. I am not questioning her guilt. She is guilty. She has never been in any kind of trouble, not even a speeding ticket. My question is for a 1st offense is there a possibilty that she will have to serve time?

Default Re: Theft By Taking In Georgia

Yes, it is possble.

The offense code for this crime is Georgia Code Section 16-8-2 and the penalty can be found here.

Default Re: Theft By Taking In Georgia

Yeah...that's a felony and she is as guilty as the others. With any luck they might hit her with an accessory. With really bad luck they will hit all 4 with "Conspiracy to Commit" and she will be tagged with 2 Felony charges.

If she had no clue what was going on she could still be charged as an accessory because she did not report the crime. ...it's hard to disavow knowledge when you are in the midst of it all.

If a weapon of any sort was involved then it could get really serious really quick. Strongarm robbery is one thing, but armed robbery or the threat of armed robbery is something entirely different!

The person who works there will likely see a sentence of 2-5 years and be out on Felony Parole in under a year. The others will likely see 1-2 year prison (hard time) sentences and be out in under a year on Felony Parole.

These Felony charges are as serious as a heart attack. She needs a good attorney.

1. Sponsored Links