Default What Defines A "Public Figure"?

Hi,

I think the definition of a "Public Official is pretty straightforward, however, what criteria accurately defines a "Public Figure"?

My Best,

FG

Default Re: What Defines A "Public Figure"?

Quote Quoting guerino1
    View Post
    Hi,

I think the definition of a "Public Official is pretty straightforward, however, what criteria accurately defines a "Public Figure"?

My Best,

FG

The USSC has generally skirted the issue of what a public figure is? You need to research some of your own states case law on defamation for some more specific definitions. State laws may vary.

There is NO question that mega stars like Elton John, Lebron James, etc, are public figures.

There is no statutory criteria, just common law precident. If it's disputed, only a court can rule.

My take on it: If you are routinely in the public eye, or a high profile individual in some capacity, you are a public figure. If you become the subject of a matter of public interest, you become a public figure. It doesn't have to be voluntary. If you hold yourself out to be a public figure, even if just by blogging, you are inviting public response, and making yourself a public figure by speaking out.

I commented in another thread on defamation about this:

What happens when one otherwise anonymous username claims slander from another anonymous username? Are cyber-identities persons under the law? A succcessful anonymous blogger could be damaged both in reputation and financially by slander. Corporations aren't real persons, yet enjoy many(not all) of the same protections as real persons - why or why can't cyber-identities?

Quote Quoting guerino1
    View Post
    Hi,

My Best,

FG
    It depends on the context ... in what way is the term or label "public figure" important?

If you Google your state + law + "public figure" you will get a horde of links that explain the issues. I did that for CA and got a bunch. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...blic+figure%22

- Carl
    A Nor Cal Cop Sergeant

"Make mine a double mocha ...
    And a croissant!"

End of Watch: Deputy Danny Oliver

End of Watch: Detective Michael Davis, Jr.

Quote Quoting cdwjava
    View Post
    It depends on the context ... in what way is the term or label "public figure" important?

- Carl

Carl, I am greatly assuming the poster meant in a "defamation" context, since they mentiond BOTH public figures and public officials.

To the original poster, read the Sullivan case and the Welch case. Also, as I stated, STATE defamation laws are quite important also.

http://www.umt.edu/journalism/studen...law/libel.html

Quote Quoting BOR
    View Post
    Carl, I am greatly assuming the poster meant in a "defamation" context, since they mentiond BOTH public figures and public officials.

To the original poster, read the Sullivan case and the Welch case. Also, as I stated, STATE defamation laws are quite important also.

http://www.umt.edu/journalism/studen...law/libel.html
    I suspect you are right. Hence the Google idea. I found hundreds of hits with great discussions for just California when I did it. I imagine the OP's state could also be Googled and he can find plenty of info for how HIS state defines it under different contexts.

- Carl
    A Nor Cal Cop Sergeant

"Make mine a double mocha ...
    And a croissant!"

End of Watch: Deputy Danny Oliver

End of Watch: Detective Michael Davis, Jr.

1. Sponsored Links