Default Can You Leave Home At 17?

i just have a quick question...i heard that a 17 your not considered a kid or an adult and as long as you are going to school and possibly have a job and your parents know where you are they can't make you come home and its not considered a runaway. Is this true.

ps. sorry bout the run on sentence.

Default Re: Can You Leave Home At 17?

Laws are different in each state. Sometimes the police department won't force a 17-year-old runaway to return home, usually because the juvenile courts for the state don't have jurisdiction over 17-year-olds, but that's not universally true. And even when it is, it doesn't make it "legal" to run away from home.

The situation is happening in kansas. sorry. And so what would happen to the 17 year old?

panther10758 Guest

You might also ask what will happen to anyone giving you a place to stay as they could be charged with a crime.

what kind of crime could they be charged with? The girl that it is happening to ic currently staying with a friend and is looking for her own place and planing to move to her own house/apt soon.

Kansas juvenile courts have jurisdiction over minors until the age of 18.

Some states have "harboring a runaway" laws; others have "contributing to the delinquency of a minor" charges.
    Quote Quoting Kansas Statutes, Sec. 21-3612. Contributing to a child's misconduct or deprivation.
    (a) Contributing to a child's misconduct or deprivation is:
    (1) Causing or encouraging a child under 18 years of age to become or remain a child in need of care as defined by the revised Kansas code for care of children;

(2) causing or encouraging a child under 18 years of age to commit a traffic infraction or an act which, if committed by an adult, would be a misdemeanor or to violate the provisions of K.S.A. 41-727 or subsection (j) of K.S.A. 74-8810 and amendments thereto;

(3) failure to reveal, upon inquiry by a uniformed or properly identified law enforcement officer engaged in the performance of such officer's duty, any information one has regarding a runaway, with intent to aid the runaway in avoiding detection or apprehension;

(4) sheltering or concealing a runaway with intent to aid the runaway in avoiding detection or apprehension by law enforcement officers;

(5) causing or encouraging a child under 18 years of age to commit an act which, if committed by an adult, would be a felony; or

(6) causing or encouraging a child to violate the terms or conditions of the child's probation or conditional release pursuant to subsection (a)(1) of K.S.A. 2007 Supp. 38-2361, and amendments thereto.
    Contributing to a child's misconduct or deprivation as described in subsection (a)(1), (2), (3) or (6) is a class A nonperson misdemeanor. Contributing to a child's misconduct or deprivation as described in subsection (a)(4) is a severity level 8, person felony. Contributing to a child's misconduct or deprivation as described in subsection (a)(5) is a severity level 7, person felony.
    (b) A person may be found guilty of contributing to a child's misconduct or deprivation even though no prosecution of the child whose misconduct or deprivation the defendant caused or encouraged has been commenced pursuant to the revised Kansas code for care of children, revised Kansas juvenile justice code or Kansas criminal code.

(c) As used in this section, "runaway" means a child under 18 years of age who is willfully and voluntarily absent from:
    (1) The child's home without the consent of the child's parent or other custodian; or

(2) a court ordered or designated placement, or a placement pursuant to court order, if the absence is without the consent of the person with whom the child is placed or, if the child is placed in a facility, without the consent of the person in charge of such facility or such person's designee.
    (d) This section shall be part of and supplemental to the Kansas criminal code.

1. Sponsored Links