Default Virginia Lease Expired

Hi, I signed a lease for one year terminating this past June for a separate apartment for a single family home. The lease specifically says that the lese shall not extend automatically to a month to month lease. The addendum states that 30 days prior to the conclusion of the rental period, the lessor and lessee will discuss extension of the rental contract.

This conversation never happened and I continued to pay the monthly rent that was set forth in the original lease, which the landlord accepted and deposited. I have paid on time each month since then and my landlord has continued to accept payment.

I am losing my job soon and will be moving out of the area at the end of my employment. Am I in a renewed annual lease or am I on a month-to-month lease? Will I be held liable for any monthly payments past the month I move out? Can my landlord wihthold my security deposit for this reason? I have approximately 3 months left until I move, is 30 days the notice to terminate still applicable? Am I living in the house illegaly? I have a very good relationship with the landlord and do not foressee any problems but want to be protected.

Thanks for any help or advice.

Default Continuation of Rental Following Lease Expiration

From what you have said you are now in a month-to-month tenancy. You need to give a full month's notice of your intention to leave, following all state laws governing proper notice and provision of a forwarding address for your damage deposit.

1. Sponsored Links