Default Judgement Removal From Credit Record After Being Discharged In Bankruptcy

I'm working myself out of a Bankruptcy Judgement from February of 2006.
    I've managed to get my life back in order and just have one last hurdle to overcome. I have a Default Judgement from a Law firm on My Credit Report/record that is listed in my Bankruptcy Discharge paperwork from the original Creditor. The attorney and firm that originally filed my Bankruptcy paperwork is no longer available to followup on this as he has been disbarred. I have gone to the County Clerk/Recorder to have it removed, and this has to be done by a letter from the firm that filed the action against me. How can I go about getting this Judgement that should have been cleared from my record without incurring any additional costs. Is there a template or form that can be used to notify the firm which filed in court to remove this judgement, especially if I can provide the Bankruptcy Discharge with the specific Creditor being listed in the Discharge paperwork? IS there any specific template/form/procedure to accomplish this in California? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

GDBear

Default Re: Judgement Removal From Credit Record After Being Discharged In Bankruptcy.

I am missing something here.

Why do you believe the legitimate judgement shoudl be removed from your credit report?

Default Re: Judgement Removal From Credit Record After Being Discharged In Bankruptcy.

The amount that was put on the Judgement was for a creditor that I listed on my Bankruptcy filing, and the creditor was listed on my Bankruptcy Discharge paperwork as well. Also this same firm attempted to garnish my wages three months after the judgement, however there was a cease and dissest order by Attorney at the time as I was in Bankruptcy proceedings. My wages were never again touched for garnishment nor did I ever get contacted by this firm or any other creditors afterwards as my attorney told me to redirect all calls to him (attorney).

The amount that was put on the Judgement was for a creditor that I listed on my Bankruptcy filing, and the creditor was listed on my Bankruptcy Discharge paperwork as well.
    So? The BK does not clear your CR. Whatever was there will still be there. After all, it is a record of your credit history. It does not remove the information already on your report.

Have you contacted the credit reporting agency and sent copies of the dc to them?

The credit agencies may not necessarily remove the judgment (they many times don't) but they should show discharged in bankruptcy if you notify them/send them proof that it has been. The bankruptcy can remain on your credit report for up to ten years.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

Default Re: Judgement Removal From Credit Record After Being Discharged In Bankruptcy

Contact each of the "Big 3" and file a dispute along with a copy of the bankruptcy paperwork showing it was discharged. Some of the "Big 3" have offices and consumer hours though they are in cities to support large commercial clients.

The judgement will not be removed but they do have to mark it as Discharged as part of the bankruptcy.

Default Re: Judgement Removal From Credit Record After Being Discharged In Bankruptcy

Was the judgment obtained before or after you filed bankruptcy? Its not clear. If it was after, than hire an attorney to sue the law firm that obtained the judgment for violating the stay and/or attempting to collect discharged debt. If it was before, then write the credit bureaus and tell them they need to verify the information about the judgment and update your report to show it was discharged. If they don't, then sue them for violating the FCRA.

1. Sponsored Links