Question Is A Wife Responsible For Husband's Debt In Florida

Can hospitals, collection agencies etc. hold a wife responsible to pay
    a husband's medical debts in the state of FL? All assets are owned by
    wife only prior to marriage, are these protected as well?

Default Re: Is A Wife Responsible For Husband's Debt In Florida

Quote Quoting gigi54
    View Post
    Can hospitals, collection agencies etc. hold a wife responsible to pay
    a husband's medical debts in the state of FL? All assets are owned by
    wife only prior to marriage, are these protected as well?
    Since Fl. is not a community property state, assets in the wife's name only creditors should not be able to touch. If they see any joint assets, they will try to come after them (ie assets with both spouse's names on them). There is a "doctrine of necessaries" which sometimes makes one spouse responsible for the other spouse's medical debts but this out-dated doctrine has been abolished in Fl.

If the wife signed to be responsible for the medical debts of the husband then, of course, she would be.

Also, a judgment would have to be rendered against the husband before creditors can come after any assets.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

Thank for your reply. To my knowledge I haven't signed any documents and don't believe any facility has my social. I am relieved about the assets as that has been a fear of my husband due to the fact that they were mine prior to our marriage and acquired over a 25 year period with my late husband. I have tried to contact some of the collection agencies to explain my current husband's situation. Due to illness, he hasn't been able to work since Mar. 2007. Collections then starts attacking me and questions my personal finances. I also haven't had an income which I have disclosed to some and they question how I pay my bills, etc which I don't believe to be any of their business.

Unhappy Re: Is A Wife Responsible For Husband's Debt In Florida

My husband has a credit card debit where my name is not listed on the application nor have I signed for anything that he is currently in default of. Can the credit card company garnish anything from my wages or our bank account? Thank you.

SilentReaper - Would you please start your own new thread. You added to another's poster's thread. Thanks.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

1. Sponsored Links