Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Unhappy Illegal Immigrant Wants To Become Legal

    I need to know what I can do, if anything, to change my status in this country (U.S.).

    I was sent to this country from Mexico when I was 2 years old and I lived with my grandmother for a year until my parents came over.

    My parents raised me in the U.S., I attended school (grade 1-12) and graduated, I couldn't attend college. I work, I pay taxes and I have no criminal background at all. I have a bank account, but obviously no credit/debt. I don't drive and I have no insurance of any kind.

    I'm 25 now and I'm still living at home with my family, there are four of us and three of us are illegal/undocumented immigrants. My youngest sibling who is an 18 yo. college student is a U.S. citizen born here. All of my aunts, uncles and cousins are U.S. citizens an my grandmother is a resident of this country now living in Mexico.

    I need help because, quite honestly, I have no life. My life was to work 6-7 days a week for very little money; they understood my situation and knew I had no choice, but to work for them. They still layed me off though, and now I don't know what to do. Should I look for another job where they know they can underpay me? Should I go back to my foreign-homeland or is there anything I can do to adjust my status in the U.S.?

    Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this and hopefully replying. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2005

    Default Re: Illegal Immigrant Wants To Become Legal

    There's no good path for you. There is no amnesty law for illegal immigrants, and is not likely to be one in the imminent future. The Dream Act (to give a chance of citizenship to people who were brought into the U.S. illegally as children) may pass if we get a Democratic President in the White House, although that will probably also require the changing of a few senate seats into Democratic hands.

    Leaving the U.S. is a poor option, as you will be subject to a period of ineligibility to reenter the United States, from what you say a ten year period. You can discuss that, and the possibility of getting a waiver, with an immigration lawyer.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Toledo, OH

    Default Re: Illegal Immigrant Wants To Become Legal

    Under the current rules, if you've entered the US illegally and were employed without UCIS authorization, you may not apply for adjustment of status in the US. (See section 10).

    The amnesty provisions of Section 245(i) expired in 2001 and the DREAM Act - which would have allowed illegal aliens who were brought into the country as minors under the age of 16 to adjust their status - failed on a procedural vote in October of 2007.

    You say your sister was born here. As a citizen, she may complete a family petition on your behalf when she reaches the age of 21 - but I think that it is required that you be outside the US when she does so.

    As Aaron says, you should discuss this with a lawyer.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2008

    Default Re: Illegal Immigrant Wants To Become Legal

    You can have a family member petition for you. It is the I-130 Petition for Relative. They will have to sponsor(I-864) you and a legal resident can do that if it has been at least 3 years since they got there green card. After all the paper work and fees you will then have an appt. in Mexico where you do a med exam at least 2 days before your appt. Since you've been in the US illegally you will have to file the waiver(I-601). So if yoy've never been in trouble or been deported you should be approved. Good Luck!!!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: Illegal Immigrant Wants To Become Legal

    Well I can't say I understand everything, but I'm really thankful for your replies. Thank You.

    Aaron- That's exactly how I feel. There's just no good path so I either make a mistake or dont take any path. Stuck. Hopefully we will have a democrat president if what you say about it is true.

    LawResearcherMissy- Thanks, you've provided so much information. I hope my sister can still petition for me even though I was employed with out UCIS authorization, otherwise under the current rules I'm screwed.

    Mama of 4- What you have written gives me some hope and I definitely need luck. Thank you. My sister turned 19 this year(2008) so maybe in 2 years things will get moving.

    I came to this forum because I always hear lawyers can be very expensive even just for consultations and sometimes you can get conned, but it seems, like in every thing else, I will have to risk it. Thanks again!

    1. Sponsored Links

Similar Threads

  1. Marriage: Getting Married to an Illegal Immigrant
    By Apple777 in forum Family-Based Immigration
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-31-2010, 09:04 PM
  2. Regulations and Procedures: Is It Legal for an Illegal Immigrant to Apply for Medicaid
    By dalgo in forum Government Agencies
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-01-2010, 02:12 PM
  3. Regulations and Procedures: Medicaid for Illegal Immigrant
    By bimona in forum Government Agencies
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-16-2009, 08:35 AM
  4. Unlawful Entry: Illegal Immigrant
    By concernedparents in forum Immigration Issues
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-05-2006, 06:34 AM
  5. Unlawful Presence and Overstay: Illegal Immigrant
    By angel in forum Immigration Issues
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-26-2005, 04:08 PM


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Sponsor
Find A Lawyer - Free, confidential referrals.
Legal Forms - Buy easy-to-use legal forms.

Untitled Document