Default Court Tomorrow For Shoplifting Charge, Need Advice

I'm 29 and I got caught shoplifting at a Walmart in CA. I concealed items in a stroller and in my diaper bag. The lp guy stopped me as I walked out and said that the police were on their way. So I had my 3 kids with me, a 7 yo, 9yo and 2 yo. My older girls have no idea that I've ever stolen anything, so I'm thinking of a way to distract them, and I hand them some cash and tell them to get something to eat and that I'll be right back. I spend a couple of hours in the lp office. Durring that time an officer comes. He wants to call my dh to come get the kids, but I'm freaked out, I really didn't want my dh to know about any of this. I finally give him dh's number, but he can't get ahold of him. So he starts talking about calling cps, and I'm terrified that my kids are about to be taken away. The lp guy asks what I stole, why, I'm pretty honest with him. The cop finally lets me go with what looks like a ticket. It has a court date on it (tomorrow, the 31st). It also says I have to get booked.

I was going to go get booked this week, but I've been really sick since monday. So I didn't get booked, but I do have to go to court tomorrow.

I'm pretty sure that the store has video of me stealing on other occasions.

So, I know this sounds stupid, but how should I plea? I know I'm guilty. I feel terrible about what I did. I'm embarressed, ashamed. Getting caught really woke me up. My husband is mad at me... I obviously feel bad that I got caught, but mostly I can't believe that I did something so stupid and selfish.

My ticket only had the shoplifting charge written on it. Can they add other charges on to this? I've read on these forums about "child endangerment." If I just plead guilty tomorrow, will this all be over?

Another thing I noticed was that the LP guy said, "you'll just go to court, plead guilty.." But it was just kind of weird like he had some interest in my pleading guilty. Does it make a difference to him?

Thanks for reading this.
    Oh, also, I can't afford to hire a lawyer. I was going to get my court date postponed, but they wouldn't let me. So now I have to go tomorrow and I'm really not prepared at all.

panther10758 Guest

Default Re: Court Tomorrow -help Needed-

If you cannot afford an Attorney plead not guilty and request a public defender

Default Re: Court Tomorrow For Shoplifting Charge, Need Advice

I guess the question I failed to ask in my long post is, can I make things any worse by pleading not guilty? Can they add on more charges? Can anything worse possibly happen by pleading not guilty?

Also, could I go to jail tomorrow? Is that even a possibility?

panther10758 Guest

Pleading not guilty will only get you the time you need to talk to an Attorney (Public defender) be sure to request one when you plead. It will not result in additional charges. You committed theft so jail is an option however its very very (did I mention very) unlikely. Your Attorney will explain to you what he/she can do with plea bargains.

Thank you so much for answering my questions. I can't describe how humbling an experience this is.

It's good to know that jail is unlikely... Will they expect me to pay any fines or anything tomorrow? Will anything bad happen since I didn't go get booked? I'm sure I'll get asked about it. I was thinking about being honest - that I was sick, but I know that sounds like bs. There really isn't a good excuse to not get booked, is there?

Do you think that it will work in my favor that I didn't get taken in that day and got the citation instead?

Thanks you again :-)

panther10758 Guest

The only thing that will happen tomorrow (if you follow my advice) is you will get a new court date and be told how to go about getting a public defender

Okay, I can handle that. Thanks.

I was under the impression that if you skip your date to get finger printed/photographed, than a warrant may be issued.
    Is there any truth to that?

Andrew, please start a new thread with your question.

1. Sponsored Links